May 23, 2012, 10:46 PM EST
The New York Rangers might go to bed tonight in a daze – but not just because of the go-to story about their playoff fatigue. After the Rangers sporadically chipped away at an early 3-0 lead, the New Jersey Devils’ capitalized on Ryan Carter‘s game-winning goal to win 5-3, taking a 3-2 series lead in the process.
Let’s start chatting.
- In a strange way, this might be one of – if not the – best performances by New York in this series. Can the Rangers bring this kind of effort for two more games?
- More on that general theme: will the Rangers finally fade in what they hope will be a third consecutive seven-game series? With all due respect to the Senators and Capitals, the Devils are a much tougher team to shake away.
- Speaking of which, are the Devils just flat-out better than the Rangers? They clearly dominated the Flyers and it seems like they’ve been physically superior to John Tortorella’s gang when it matters the most.
- Is Henrik Lundqvist worn out? He had a tough start that put the Rangers in a deep hole and then allowed a late tally that crushed New York’s rising spirits.
- Kudos to Zach Parise, who’s quietly buffing his playoff resume with empty-netters. That might earn him a few extra bucks this summer.
- Martin Brodeur pulled a Mike Smith by showing the hazards of puckhandling. How much more of a positive impact does he make with those skills?
- Is this it for the Rangers or will they come back against a Devils team that doesn’t seem to get proper credit?
Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
They’ve been shut out three times in five games.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 21
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)