May 23, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have made their first move in what promises to be a busy offseason, re-signing right winger Derek Dorsett to a three-year deal. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports it’s for $4.9 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.63 million.
Dorsett, 25, led the NHL in penalty minutes (235) last season, narrowly edging out Philly’s Zac Rinaldo (232) and Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka (193). The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year (which was pretty impressive considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.)
“Derek is an extremely competitive and hard-working player,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the team website. “He has improved every year and we look forward to his continued growth as a player and leader on our team.”
Columbus thought highly enough of Dorsett to make him a temporary alternate captain last season. While he only stands 6-foot, 190 pounds, Dorsett has proven to be one of the most willing (and energetic) fighters in the NHL.
Here’s an example of his energy:
And here’s an example of his willingness (also, poor decision-making):
FF to :50 for the best visual of how massive the size difference was.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 6
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 6
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 37
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)