May 23, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have made their first move in what promises to be a busy offseason, re-signing right winger Derek Dorsett to a three-year deal. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports it’s for $4.9 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.63 million.
Dorsett, 25, led the NHL in penalty minutes (235) last season, narrowly edging out Philly’s Zac Rinaldo (232) and Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka (193). The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year (which was pretty impressive considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.)
“Derek is an extremely competitive and hard-working player,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the team website. “He has improved every year and we look forward to his continued growth as a player and leader on our team.”
Columbus thought highly enough of Dorsett to make him a temporary alternate captain last season. While he only stands 6-foot, 190 pounds, Dorsett has proven to be one of the most willing (and energetic) fighters in the NHL.
Here’s an example of his energy:
And here’s an example of his willingness (also, poor decision-making):
FF to :50 for the best visual of how massive the size difference was.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)