May 23, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have made their first move in what promises to be a busy offseason, re-signing right winger Derek Dorsett to a three-year deal. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports it’s for $4.9 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.63 million.
Dorsett, 25, led the NHL in penalty minutes (235) last season, narrowly edging out Philly’s Zac Rinaldo (232) and Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka (193). The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year (which was pretty impressive considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.)
“Derek is an extremely competitive and hard-working player,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the team website. “He has improved every year and we look forward to his continued growth as a player and leader on our team.”
Columbus thought highly enough of Dorsett to make him a temporary alternate captain last season. While he only stands 6-foot, 190 pounds, Dorsett has proven to be one of the most willing (and energetic) fighters in the NHL.
Here’s an example of his energy:
And here’s an example of his willingness (also, poor decision-making):
FF to :50 for the best visual of how massive the size difference was.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 19
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)