May 23, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have made their first move in what promises to be a busy offseason, re-signing right winger Derek Dorsett to a three-year deal. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports it’s for $4.9 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.63 million.
Dorsett, 25, led the NHL in penalty minutes (235) last season, narrowly edging out Philly’s Zac Rinaldo (232) and Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka (193). The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year (which was pretty impressive considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.)
“Derek is an extremely competitive and hard-working player,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the team website. “He has improved every year and we look forward to his continued growth as a player and leader on our team.”
Columbus thought highly enough of Dorsett to make him a temporary alternate captain last season. While he only stands 6-foot, 190 pounds, Dorsett has proven to be one of the most willing (and energetic) fighters in the NHL.
Here’s an example of his energy:
And here’s an example of his willingness (also, poor decision-making):
FF to :50 for the best visual of how massive the size difference was.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)