May 23, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have made their first move in what promises to be a busy offseason, re-signing right winger Derek Dorsett to a three-year deal. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports it’s for $4.9 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.63 million.
Dorsett, 25, led the NHL in penalty minutes (235) last season, narrowly edging out Philly’s Zac Rinaldo (232) and Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka (193). The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year (which was pretty impressive considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.)
“Derek is an extremely competitive and hard-working player,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the team website. “He has improved every year and we look forward to his continued growth as a player and leader on our team.”
Columbus thought highly enough of Dorsett to make him a temporary alternate captain last season. While he only stands 6-foot, 190 pounds, Dorsett has proven to be one of the most willing (and energetic) fighters in the NHL.
Here’s an example of his energy:
And here’s an example of his willingness (also, poor decision-making):
FF to :50 for the best visual of how massive the size difference was.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)