Canucks coach Vigneault gets contract extension

May 23, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT

Nashville Predators v Vancouver Canucks - Game One Getty Images

The Vancouver Canucks have signed head coach Alain Vigneault to a contract extension, the club announced today. (Update: It’s a two-year extension.)

“Alain has established himself as one of the premiere coaches in the National Hockey League,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “He has demonstrated a commitment to winning that has led to back-to-back Presidents’ Trophies and we are confident his dedication and hard work will continue to yield positive results. Alain has built a foundation of winning with this franchise and I feel he can continue to build on that foundation to achieve our ultimate goal.”

Said Vigneault: “I am pleased to be signing this extension to continue as the head coach of such an outstanding organization. I look forward to taking the next step with this franchise in bringing the Stanley Cup to Vancouver. I feel fortunate to be able to work with such a dedicated group of management, coaches and players in this great city I love.”

Vigneault had one year remaining on his contract prior to the extension, and after the Canucks won their second straight Presidents’ Trophy but lasted just five games in the playoffs, there was speculation (lots of it by us!) a move could be made behind the bench. But much to the dismay of The Province’s Tony Gallagher, no move was forthcoming.

Vigneault is 287-155-50 with the Canucks and boasts the most wins and highest winning percentage of any coach in franchise history (.634).

Following the 2006-07 season, he was named the NHL’s coach of the year.

Last season, he guided the Canucks to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

He also enjoys a good Kevin Bieksa angry face impression.

1. metcarfre - May 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Smart move Gillis.

2. canuckswino - May 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Thank God. AV’s not perfect, but there weren’t better options available. Good move. Now just have to trade the rights to Raymond (Mr. Perimeter), sign Justin Schultz, sign some “size that can play (Asham, Prust, Moen, etc…)” and trade Luongo…

• polegojim - May 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I wouldn’t thank God for it… be careful what you wish for.

I agree that there didn’t ‘seem’ to be a ‘better’ alternative… but wouldn’t you think at some point…. with SOOOO many combinations of players, goalies…. he would take a TOP league talented team to Stanley Cup Victory? Once? He’s had the pieces a number of different years.

Trade Luongo… yes I see that… but there are lots of ‘playoff no-shows’ on that roster. Some of them are BIG money supposed superstars.

I post my comment while shaking my head.

I’ve wanted to believe in the Canucks… they just don’t give us much reason past Pres Trophy..

3. thomaspratt - May 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Who has the best theory as to why there is no word at all about the length of Gills’s and AV’s contract extensions? It baffles me. Maybe the extensions are longer than we might expect? Shorter?

4. canuckswino - May 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM

@Thomaspratt: just give it a couple hours – it will come out somehow, but bottom line, the team is under no obligation to release contract terms of coaches, or management. I’m guessing it’s a two-year deal meaning he’d be signed for three more years…

• thomaspratt - May 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Has Gillis’s extension length leaked yet? You’re probably right about the term.

• t16rich - May 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Agreed. I bet both he and Gillis got 2 year extensions, making them under contract for 3 years.

5. kitshky - May 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Botch is reporting it’s a 2 year extension … seems the most logical too.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches