May 23, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have signed head coach Alain Vigneault to a contract extension, the club announced today. (Update: It’s a two-year extension.)
“Alain has established himself as one of the premiere coaches in the National Hockey League,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “He has demonstrated a commitment to winning that has led to back-to-back Presidents’ Trophies and we are confident his dedication and hard work will continue to yield positive results. Alain has built a foundation of winning with this franchise and I feel he can continue to build on that foundation to achieve our ultimate goal.”
Said Vigneault: “I am pleased to be signing this extension to continue as the head coach of such an outstanding organization. I look forward to taking the next step with this franchise in bringing the Stanley Cup to Vancouver. I feel fortunate to be able to work with such a dedicated group of management, coaches and players in this great city I love.”
Vigneault had one year remaining on his contract prior to the extension, and after the Canucks won their second straight Presidents’ Trophy but lasted just five games in the playoffs, there was speculation (lots of it by us!) a move could be made behind the bench. But much to the dismay of The Province’s Tony Gallagher, no move was forthcoming.
Vigneault is 287-155-50 with the Canucks and boasts the most wins and highest winning percentage of any coach in franchise history (.634).
Following the 2006-07 season, he was named the NHL’s coach of the year.
Last season, he guided the Canucks to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.
He also enjoys a good Kevin Bieksa angry face impression.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)