Brown’s take on hit: “I felt I got him with my shoulder”

May 23, 2012, 1:44 AM EDT

brownhighfive Getty Images

Whether his hit was a “knee-to-knee” or “thigh-to-thigh” connection, Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown won’t be a popular man in Phoenix for his controversial hit on Michal Rozsival. The Coyotes expressed hostility to the press and during the handshake line, but Rich Hammond caught up with Brown to get his perspective on what happened.

“I haven’t really seen a highlight of it,” Brown said. “Rozsival was cutting to the middle and I cut across and made contact. Obviously they thought it was kneeing. I felt I got him with my shoulder. My left side and his right side all made contact, from toe to shoulder.”

Mike Smith disagrees. So does Coyotes analyst Tyson Nash. PHT readers are debating the suspension-worthiness of that incident as we speak. Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milbury got into a heated debate over the hit after the game.

Knee-to-knee hits (or hits that kind of look like knee-to-knee hits) aren’t inherently predatory. Sometimes it’s a matter of bad luck. It seems like Brown is venturing that argument, but we’ll see if the NHL disagrees.

It might take a lot for the league to suspend a captain and high-scorer during the Stanley Cup finals, though.

(As far as the handshake line awkwardness, Brown was far from revealing as he went the no comment route, though.)

1. our12tfp - May 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Looked more like the shoulder than the knee; for all of the flopping Phoenix did in the 5 games, I do believe he got hurt. But for the biggest flopper of them all, Mike Smith, to say he should be out forever really shows his true colors. From the Chicago series, I mean, seriously Mike, if you were hit that hard you should have come out of the game, to the dive you took after that, REALLY ? Oh, and by the way, with the way you slash with your stick, are you auditioning for a Three Musketeers movie, or what ?

2. merkaba420 - May 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Why is nobody saying anything about the missed call when Doughty blatantly boarded a guy late in the third period? That was pretty bad as well.

3. mclovinhockey - May 23, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Not gonna say there was no knee, but the fact is shoulder to shoulder was the first and main point of contact.

4. sjsharksfan11 - May 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I’td be fitting when someone returns the favor to Brown.

5. sixshooter90 - May 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Just ask Willie Mitchell how many games, his comments a couple of weeks ago about suspensions, if he was in charge 3 of there best players would be suspened, including himself, what a JOKE.

6. namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Brown’s hit was shoulder to shoulder. It appears his knee came up to balance himself and came in contact with the thigh, not the knee of Rovsival. Brown is a tough hitter but I’ve never seen him intentionally try to hurt someone outside of a legal hit. He puts a lot of pop into his hits. Do stop action on the hit from different angles. If you look at the video, after Rovsival falls down he looks over at the confrontation to his left while on his elbows and after watching and listening he finally puts his head down. He is not in major agony. I have blew out both knees years ago and the last thing I was looking immedately after contact was the play continuation or who was doing what around me.

The same argument about not being able to stop once commited to a hit was used by Doan when he boarded Lewis. No league penalties from that. Hanzal complained Brown should not have stopped as he did before he was boarded in game 2. Brown was at fault for his own being boarded. I believe Brown was commited to the shoulder to shoulder hit and what happened just happened. Not intentional. The only one who can really answer that is Brown. Being a Kings fan I believe in my player and what I saw. PHX fans believe in Doan regardless of what kind of hit he does and all the cheap shots and flops by Smith. Things all average out in the end. What is done is done.

LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!!!!!!

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D