May 23, 2012, 1:44 AM EDT
Whether his hit was a “knee-to-knee” or “thigh-to-thigh” connection, Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown won’t be a popular man in Phoenix for his controversial hit on Michal Rozsival. The Coyotes expressed hostility to the press and during the handshake line, but Rich Hammond caught up with Brown to get his perspective on what happened.
“I haven’t really seen a highlight of it,” Brown said. “Rozsival was cutting to the middle and I cut across and made contact. Obviously they thought it was kneeing. I felt I got him with my shoulder. My left side and his right side all made contact, from toe to shoulder.”
Mike Smith disagrees. So does Coyotes analyst Tyson Nash. PHT readers are debating the suspension-worthiness of that incident as we speak. Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milbury got into a heated debate over the hit after the game.
Knee-to-knee hits (or hits that kind of look like knee-to-knee hits) aren’t inherently predatory. Sometimes it’s a matter of bad luck. It seems like Brown is venturing that argument, but we’ll see if the NHL disagrees.
It might take a lot for the league to suspend a captain and high-scorer during the Stanley Cup finals, though.
(As far as the handshake line awkwardness, Brown was far from revealing as he went the no comment route, though.)
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL