May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM EST
New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has been through this before, but at 40, he’s likely aware this might be his last deep playoff run. With that in mind, he’s enjoying the ride – even when it seems like the fun is occasionally coming at his expense.
Maybe hearing Madison Square Garden’s go-to “MAR-TY!” chants is easier to take after a 5-3 win in Game 5, but either way, Brodeur embraced the mockery when Tom Gulitti asked him about it.
“It’s fun to be part of this,” Brodeur said. “I was enjoying myself even though they came back and almost beat us. That [Marty chant] was great. That’s as loud as they’ve done. If I come back for Game 7, I hope they are going to do better.”
Brodeur was already becoming a fixture for the Devils in 1994, the last time the two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. He acknowledged that this series will add another big chapter to the local rivalry.
“Whatever is going to happen in the next few days is what our rivalry is going to be all about,” Brodeur said.
He didn’t guarantee anything, though.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)