May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has been through this before, but at 40, he’s likely aware this might be his last deep playoff run. With that in mind, he’s enjoying the ride – even when it seems like the fun is occasionally coming at his expense.
Maybe hearing Madison Square Garden’s go-to “MAR-TY!” chants is easier to take after a 5-3 win in Game 5, but either way, Brodeur embraced the mockery when Tom Gulitti asked him about it.
“It’s fun to be part of this,” Brodeur said. “I was enjoying myself even though they came back and almost beat us. That [Marty chant] was great. That’s as loud as they’ve done. If I come back for Game 7, I hope they are going to do better.”
Brodeur was already becoming a fixture for the Devils in 1994, the last time the two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. He acknowledged that this series will add another big chapter to the local rivalry.
“Whatever is going to happen in the next few days is what our rivalry is going to be all about,” Brodeur said.
He didn’t guarantee anything, though.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)