May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM EST
New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has been through this before, but at 40, he’s likely aware this might be his last deep playoff run. With that in mind, he’s enjoying the ride – even when it seems like the fun is occasionally coming at his expense.
Maybe hearing Madison Square Garden’s go-to “MAR-TY!” chants is easier to take after a 5-3 win in Game 5, but either way, Brodeur embraced the mockery when Tom Gulitti asked him about it.
“It’s fun to be part of this,” Brodeur said. “I was enjoying myself even though they came back and almost beat us. That [Marty chant] was great. That’s as loud as they’ve done. If I come back for Game 7, I hope they are going to do better.”
Brodeur was already becoming a fixture for the Devils in 1994, the last time the two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. He acknowledged that this series will add another big chapter to the local rivalry.
“Whatever is going to happen in the next few days is what our rivalry is going to be all about,” Brodeur said.
He didn’t guarantee anything, though.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)