May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has been through this before, but at 40, he’s likely aware this might be his last deep playoff run. With that in mind, he’s enjoying the ride – even when it seems like the fun is occasionally coming at his expense.
Maybe hearing Madison Square Garden’s go-to “MAR-TY!” chants is easier to take after a 5-3 win in Game 5, but either way, Brodeur embraced the mockery when Tom Gulitti asked him about it.
“It’s fun to be part of this,” Brodeur said. “I was enjoying myself even though they came back and almost beat us. That [Marty chant] was great. That’s as loud as they’ve done. If I come back for Game 7, I hope they are going to do better.”
Brodeur was already becoming a fixture for the Devils in 1994, the last time the two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. He acknowledged that this series will add another big chapter to the local rivalry.
“Whatever is going to happen in the next few days is what our rivalry is going to be all about,” Brodeur said.
He didn’t guarantee anything, though.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)