May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has been through this before, but at 40, he’s likely aware this might be his last deep playoff run. With that in mind, he’s enjoying the ride – even when it seems like the fun is occasionally coming at his expense.
Maybe hearing Madison Square Garden’s go-to “MAR-TY!” chants is easier to take after a 5-3 win in Game 5, but either way, Brodeur embraced the mockery when Tom Gulitti asked him about it.
“It’s fun to be part of this,” Brodeur said. “I was enjoying myself even though they came back and almost beat us. That [Marty chant] was great. That’s as loud as they’ve done. If I come back for Game 7, I hope they are going to do better.”
Brodeur was already becoming a fixture for the Devils in 1994, the last time the two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. He acknowledged that this series will add another big chapter to the local rivalry.
“Whatever is going to happen in the next few days is what our rivalry is going to be all about,” Brodeur said.
He didn’t guarantee anything, though.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 6
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 15
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)