May 22, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
This promises to be an interesting summer for Guillaume Latendresse.
Minnesota’s talented power forward — once chosen second behind Sidney Crosby at the Quebec Major Junior draft — will turn 25 later this month and become a restricted free agent on July 1.
There’s no denying Latendresse’s skill, but there are questions surrounding his health. He’s missed 137 games over the last two years with a myriad of injuries (concussion, hip and groin issues) and according to Wild GM Chuck Fletcher, he’ll talk to Latendresse’s about his health and see if it’s worth bringing him back.
“We’ll have a good conversation to see where he’s at with his health and where he’s at with his conditioning, and what he wants to do,” Fletcher told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “I want to get a sense of how healthy he thinks he can be next year and where his head’s at.”
When healthy, Latendresse can be a dynamic scorer. He scored 25 goals in 55 games with the Wild after being acquired from Montreal but, if the Wild want to keep him, they’ll need to make a $2.5 million qualifying offer — a lot of money to invest in someone lacking durability (and someone owner Craig Leipold once publicly blasted for being out of shape.)
That said, the Wild could try to negotiate a deal for less than the $2.5 and hope Latendresse accepts.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)