May 22, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Puckhandling skills are a valuable commodity for NHL goalies. The really good ones can help to diffuse a forecheck and even set up offense with an effective breakout pass. Unfortunately for those goalies, an affinity with handling the puck also comes with an increased chance to make mistakes.
Mike Smith‘s puck skills can be a double-edged sword. Smith tried to make a breakout pass during a Coyotes power playthat ends up in an icing call. Anze Kopitar wins the resulting face-off and then deflects Drew Doughty‘s shot for a 1-1 goal, which you can view below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As Kevin Woodley points out, that tally didn’t make Smith less brazen, as he sent a nice pass that set up an odd man rush shortly after that miscue.
So here’s the question: is it worth the risk or is Smith doing more harm than good when he handles the puck which such aplomb?
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34