May 22, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Puckhandling skills are a valuable commodity for NHL goalies. The really good ones can help to diffuse a forecheck and even set up offense with an effective breakout pass. Unfortunately for those goalies, an affinity with handling the puck also comes with an increased chance to make mistakes.
Mike Smith‘s puck skills can be a double-edged sword. Smith tried to make a breakout pass during a Coyotes power playthat ends up in an icing call. Anze Kopitar wins the resulting face-off and then deflects Drew Doughty‘s shot for a 1-1 goal, which you can view below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As Kevin Woodley points out, that tally didn’t make Smith less brazen, as he sent a nice pass that set up an odd man rush shortly after that miscue.
So here’s the question: is it worth the risk or is Smith doing more harm than good when he handles the puck which such aplomb?
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)