May 22, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Puckhandling skills are a valuable commodity for NHL goalies. The really good ones can help to diffuse a forecheck and even set up offense with an effective breakout pass. Unfortunately for those goalies, an affinity with handling the puck also comes with an increased chance to make mistakes.
Mike Smith‘s puck skills can be a double-edged sword. Smith tried to make a breakout pass during a Coyotes power playthat ends up in an icing call. Anze Kopitar wins the resulting face-off and then deflects Drew Doughty‘s shot for a 1-1 goal, which you can view below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As Kevin Woodley points out, that tally didn’t make Smith less brazen, as he sent a nice pass that set up an odd man rush shortly after that miscue.
So here’s the question: is it worth the risk or is Smith doing more harm than good when he handles the puck which such aplomb?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)