May 22, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Puckhandling skills are a valuable commodity for NHL goalies. The really good ones can help to diffuse a forecheck and even set up offense with an effective breakout pass. Unfortunately for those goalies, an affinity with handling the puck also comes with an increased chance to make mistakes.
Mike Smith‘s puck skills can be a double-edged sword. Smith tried to make a breakout pass during a Coyotes power playthat ends up in an icing call. Anze Kopitar wins the resulting face-off and then deflects Drew Doughty‘s shot for a 1-1 goal, which you can view below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As Kevin Woodley points out, that tally didn’t make Smith less brazen, as he sent a nice pass that set up an odd man rush shortly after that miscue.
So here’s the question: is it worth the risk or is Smith doing more harm than good when he handles the puck which such aplomb?
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)