May 22, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
Michael Del Zotto landed in John Tortorella’s doghouse in Game 4, but it might only be a temporary stay. Tortorella was supportive of the New York Rangers defenseman after he struggled mightily in a 4-1 Game 4 defeat.
“Yeah, it was a struggle for him,” Tortorella said. “He hasn’t had many games like that this year. And we figure — I have an extra D dressed. We figured we’d take a little pressure off him, let him — just let him watch it, and Michael has gone through a great process. He’s a big part of our club. He’ll bounce back.”
The Rangers might just need him – warts and all. Even when New York is winning, the team struggles to produce consistent offense. They’ve received some key contributions from blueliners in the playoffs – Del Zotto had a huge goal in Game 7 against the Washington Capitals, for one – so his offensive instincts are valuable.
Del Zotto is reportedly dealing with a death in his family, so it’s been a tough time for the young defenseman. Tortorella’s support might just pay off with a bounce-back game, then.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)