May 22, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
He isn’t quite on the back of a milk carton, but Coyotes forward Radim Vrbata has gone missing in the playoffs.
The Coyotes leading goal scorer from the regular season has just two goals and four points in the postseason and with his team on the brink of elimination, now would be a great time to break out of his slump. Jerry Brown from NHL.com hears it from the sniper about what he’s trying to do to turn things around for himself and his team.
“Every time I feel like I might have a chance, somehow it is quickly taken away,” said Vrbata.
“You have one good shift and you try to build on it and there is a penalty, or you get pinned in your zone and you can’t keep it going. You feel like you have a good chance – finally, there it is – and you have two guys who want to block it. You just have to make sure you play good defense and contribute in other ways until you can make something happen.”
The Kings and Jonathan Quick have made a habit out of making opponents miserable, but if Vrbata can get things going and spark his team, perhaps there’s a bit more magic left for them in the playoffs. For now, eliminating that frustration is the name of the game in Arizona.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)