May 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Lightning forward Ryan Shannon was set to become a free agent this summer and look for a new team to carve a job out with. Turns out he’s not going to wait until July 1 to sign on the dotted line with an NHL team.
Thanks to Raw Charge, we find out Shannon has signed with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss-A League. According to ZSC’s site, Shannon signed a three-year deal with the team (German) to take his skills to the Alps. Shannon had an injury-marred season in Tampa this year and wasn’t able to crack through the depths of the Lightning lineup when he was healthy playing in just 45 games.
Shannon finished the season with four goals and eight assists while averaging just over 12 minutes of ice time per game. Finding a one-way deal in the NHL would’ve been difficult as is for Shannon and locking down a three-year deal abroad provides stability along with all the Toblerone he can handle.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 14
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)