May 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Lightning forward Ryan Shannon was set to become a free agent this summer and look for a new team to carve a job out with. Turns out he’s not going to wait until July 1 to sign on the dotted line with an NHL team.
Thanks to Raw Charge, we find out Shannon has signed with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss-A League. According to ZSC’s site, Shannon signed a three-year deal with the team (German) to take his skills to the Alps. Shannon had an injury-marred season in Tampa this year and wasn’t able to crack through the depths of the Lightning lineup when he was healthy playing in just 45 games.
Shannon finished the season with four goals and eight assists while averaging just over 12 minutes of ice time per game. Finding a one-way deal in the NHL would’ve been difficult as is for Shannon and locking down a three-year deal abroad provides stability along with all the Toblerone he can handle.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)