May 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Lightning forward Ryan Shannon was set to become a free agent this summer and look for a new team to carve a job out with. Turns out he’s not going to wait until July 1 to sign on the dotted line with an NHL team.
Thanks to Raw Charge, we find out Shannon has signed with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss-A League. According to ZSC’s site, Shannon signed a three-year deal with the team (German) to take his skills to the Alps. Shannon had an injury-marred season in Tampa this year and wasn’t able to crack through the depths of the Lightning lineup when he was healthy playing in just 45 games.
Shannon finished the season with four goals and eight assists while averaging just over 12 minutes of ice time per game. Finding a one-way deal in the NHL would’ve been difficult as is for Shannon and locking down a three-year deal abroad provides stability along with all the Toblerone he can handle.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 0
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)