May 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Lightning forward Ryan Shannon was set to become a free agent this summer and look for a new team to carve a job out with. Turns out he’s not going to wait until July 1 to sign on the dotted line with an NHL team.
Thanks to Raw Charge, we find out Shannon has signed with the ZSC Lions of the Swiss-A League. According to ZSC’s site, Shannon signed a three-year deal with the team (German) to take his skills to the Alps. Shannon had an injury-marred season in Tampa this year and wasn’t able to crack through the depths of the Lightning lineup when he was healthy playing in just 45 games.
Shannon finished the season with four goals and eight assists while averaging just over 12 minutes of ice time per game. Finding a one-way deal in the NHL would’ve been difficult as is for Shannon and locking down a three-year deal abroad provides stability along with all the Toblerone he can handle.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)