May 22, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
As the New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils series shifts to a pivotal Game 5 at Madison Square Garden, it’s hard not to wonder if there will be more “fireworks” after Monday’s memorable outbursts. Both teams shook off thoughts of emotions taking over, as Dave Lozo reports.
“It’s all forgotten. It’s the playoffs,” Martin Brodeur said. “I think you need to put everything in check, and what happened in one game usually doesn’t carry in the other ones. But we know that it’s going to be emotional. It’s a hostile environment in the Garden.”
When asked about the verbal confrontation with John Tortorella, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said he believes “emotion takes over.” That’s essentially the same explanation Mike Rupp gave for his run-in with Brodeur and the scuffles that ensued.
“I just responded in that moment,” Rupp said. “That was that. Nothing else going on there besides that. Those things happen in this game. There’s really not much more than that. In those two seconds, no, I don’t have time to think about anything. It’s just a reaction.”
In other words, players seem to believe that any exchanges will happen organically; they won’t need history to steer violence. Then again, that might also be a personal thing. Certain players seem to have developing beefs, which might be most noticeable in the mini-feud between bit players Stu Bickell and Ryan Carter.
Both teams would be wise to keep cool heads in Game 5 because a bad penalty or two could turn the tide of that contest (and perhaps the series).
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional