May 22, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
As the New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils series shifts to a pivotal Game 5 at Madison Square Garden, it’s hard not to wonder if there will be more “fireworks” after Monday’s memorable outbursts. Both teams shook off thoughts of emotions taking over, as Dave Lozo reports.
“It’s all forgotten. It’s the playoffs,” Martin Brodeur said. “I think you need to put everything in check, and what happened in one game usually doesn’t carry in the other ones. But we know that it’s going to be emotional. It’s a hostile environment in the Garden.”
When asked about the verbal confrontation with John Tortorella, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said he believes “emotion takes over.” That’s essentially the same explanation Mike Rupp gave for his run-in with Brodeur and the scuffles that ensued.
“I just responded in that moment,” Rupp said. “That was that. Nothing else going on there besides that. Those things happen in this game. There’s really not much more than that. In those two seconds, no, I don’t have time to think about anything. It’s just a reaction.”
In other words, players seem to believe that any exchanges will happen organically; they won’t need history to steer violence. Then again, that might also be a personal thing. Certain players seem to have developing beefs, which might be most noticeable in the mini-feud between bit players Stu Bickell and Ryan Carter.
Both teams would be wise to keep cool heads in Game 5 because a bad penalty or two could turn the tide of that contest (and perhaps the series).
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)