May 22, 2012, 12:26 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils didn’t cower at the New York Rangers’ eruption of violence, but they probably came as close to “turning the other cheek” as could be expected in Game 4. The power play disparity illustrates that point most simply: the Devils received six while the Rangers only had one.
Zach Parise‘s three-point night is a nice illustration of making another team hurt on the scoreboard more than anything else.
“I think throughout a seven-game series, both teams are bound to get frustrated at different things,” Parise said. “But like Marty said earlier, we’ve done a good job all playoffs of playing whistle-to-whistle and skating away from the scrums and things like that. Whether they’re frustrated or not, I don’t know. But we did a good job of staying out of it.”
That was probably a fairly easy task against the Florida Panthers, but the Philadelphia Flyers likely presented a good primer for this series. Philly isn’t the “bullying” squad it once was, yet it’s still one of the league’s more agitating and bruising squads.
The Devils wisely took the high road – at least in hockey terms – in the semifinals and hope to carry that over in round three. So far, they’ve done a great job of that – from players all the way down to their head coach.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)