May 22, 2012, 12:26 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils didn’t cower at the New York Rangers’ eruption of violence, but they probably came as close to “turning the other cheek” as could be expected in Game 4. The power play disparity illustrates that point most simply: the Devils received six while the Rangers only had one.
Zach Parise‘s three-point night is a nice illustration of making another team hurt on the scoreboard more than anything else.
“I think throughout a seven-game series, both teams are bound to get frustrated at different things,” Parise said. “But like Marty said earlier, we’ve done a good job all playoffs of playing whistle-to-whistle and skating away from the scrums and things like that. Whether they’re frustrated or not, I don’t know. But we did a good job of staying out of it.”
That was probably a fairly easy task against the Florida Panthers, but the Philadelphia Flyers likely presented a good primer for this series. Philly isn’t the “bullying” squad it once was, yet it’s still one of the league’s more agitating and bruising squads.
The Devils wisely took the high road – at least in hockey terms – in the semifinals and hope to carry that over in round three. So far, they’ve done a great job of that – from players all the way down to their head coach.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)