May 22, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
You’d never know it by seeing their 3-1 series lead on the Coyotes, but the Kings have a glaring problem.
Los Angeles’ power play has been nothing but miserable in the playoffs and they’re looking for ways to make it better on the fly. Their lack of success with the man advantage reminds us of how bad the Bruins were last year and them succeeding in spite of it.
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times hears from Drew Doughty about what they can do better on the power play to try and move on to the Stanley Cup finals and perhaps win their first title.
“It’s not always about the bomb or the one-timer or whatever it may be,” Doughty said. “It’s just getting the puck to the net, creating a battle, and Brownie can bang in a rebound or whatever it may be.”
One thing Phoenix has done well is kept the Kings to the outside. Lots of the Kings’ shots have come from far out with no one in front. Making life miserable for Mike Smith is something they’re working on doing better. With all this sort of talk you’d never know the Kings were the team on the brink of winning the series.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)