May 22, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe attempted some damage control today in the wake of the organization’s decision to part ways with head coach Tom Renney more than a month after the end of the regular season.
“There’s been some criticism at the timing of us making the decision and releasing Tom. If anything, it emphasized the fact that we were uncertain,” said Lowe, as per TSN.ca. “And that’s more a case in point of Tom’s ability and our genuineness about potentially having him back. But at the end of the day we made a decision to move on.
“From Tom’s perspective, there’s still lots of time if he wants to pursue coaching again this season. In the event that there are openings this season, he’ll have plenty of time.”
Even so, a month is a long time to leave a guy with no contract twisting in the wind. In contrast, it only took the Calgary Flames and Brent Sutter a few days to officially break up once the season had concluded.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)