May 22, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe attempted some damage control today in the wake of the organization’s decision to part ways with head coach Tom Renney more than a month after the end of the regular season.
“There’s been some criticism at the timing of us making the decision and releasing Tom. If anything, it emphasized the fact that we were uncertain,” said Lowe, as per TSN.ca. “And that’s more a case in point of Tom’s ability and our genuineness about potentially having him back. But at the end of the day we made a decision to move on.
“From Tom’s perspective, there’s still lots of time if he wants to pursue coaching again this season. In the event that there are openings this season, he’ll have plenty of time.”
Even so, a month is a long time to leave a guy with no contract twisting in the wind. In contrast, it only took the Calgary Flames and Brent Sutter a few days to officially break up once the season had concluded.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)