May 22, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
For years, the New York Rangers basically asked Henrik Lundqvist to overcome huge talent deficits close to 70 games per year. They’re a better overall team this season, but there are still times when it seems like the stupendous Swede needs to stand on his head for them to win.
Depending upon whom you ask, the Rangers either a) laid an egg overall or b) played like usual, only Lundqvist didn’t drag them to victory in a tough 4-1 loss in Game 4. Either way, the Rangers offense wasn’t effective, but Lundqvist told Dan Rosen that his overriding focus is on his own performance.
“Honestly, it’s not a concern for me at all how many goals we score,” Lundqvist said. “My approach to the game and my mindset doesn’t change no matter how many goals we score. A lot of times two or three goals have been enough. I try to approach it the same way — focus on my things, the things I can control.
“We will have nights where we score more goals and some nights we’re going to win 1-0 or 2-1. I’m fine with that.”
Many analysts love to talk about goalies who “make the big save in key situations,” but I’d imagine most netminders would agree that they never want to allow a goal. Sure, it’s easier to stomach a puck getting behind you when you’re up by three goals, yet Lundqvist probably has the right mindset. Control what you can and more often than not, you’ll be in a good position to win.
One can imagine that he wouldn’t mind a little “run support” anyway, though.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)