May 22, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Tonight in Glendale, the city council is expected to approve a preliminary budget that would earmark a $17 million arena-management fee payable to prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison.
Also tonight in Glendale, the Coyotes will be at Jobing.com Arena trying to stay alive in the Western Conference finals.
Whether or not it’s the last time the franchise plays a game in the city-owned rink is still up in the air.
“We are putting $17 million in as a placeholder,” said Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni. “There is not an agreement yet for an owner of the Coyotes or a management agreement with the arena, but we know that, moving forward, the city is going to be responsible for all of the expenses of that facility.”
One person who’s hoping an agreement is reached is Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
“I’ve been here for 16 years this August,” Doan said today. “It’s been great to my family and I.
“I have a 13-year-old daughter that this is home to. She has never lived anywhere else. All her friends, their families are all here. This is home for us. We enjoy it. It’s something that we hope gets settled.”
Doan also enjoys his low-profile life in the desert.
“You’re fortunate when you live here and play here. You get all the benefits of playing professional sports. I get to go down and meet the Diamondbacks, do the fun things you enjoy, get great tickets to fun things.
“At the same time you have the amenity of being just a regular dad, a regular husband. You go out and do the normal things with your wife and the normal things with your kids.”
If the Coyotes remain in Glendale, Doan will surely be back with the franchise he’s spent his entire career with.
But if the sale to Jamison falls through and the Coyotes are forced to relocated, Doan wouldn’t necessarily go along with them. The 35-year-old has the right to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and there would be plenty of interest in his services if he were available.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Isles are one team that’s reportedly interested.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Former North Dakota standout was a 2009 Panthers draftee.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft is ready to go.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Former ‘Hawks assistant takes over the Caps’ minor-league team.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL