May 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
Craig Berube may or may not be a candidate to replace Dale Hunter behind the bench in Washington, but he’d like to be.
“Any time you get an opportunity to be a head coach, you’re interested,” Berube said. “My situation is good here. No one has contacted me about it. We’ll see what happens.”
Berube played 1,054 games in the NHL, many of them in Washington with the Caps. His 3,149 PIM rank seventh all time in league history, just a few hundred behind Hunter (3,565).
Berube and Hunter are former teammates that remain good friends, and the two spoke often during the season.
But do they share the same hockey philosophy? The Flyers certainly don’t play conservative hockey under Peter Laviolette.
Come to think of it, perhaps a coach that’s part hard-nosed Hunter and part attacking-oriented Laviolette could work well in Washington.
Again though, Berube hasn’t even been contacted by the Caps, so for now this is nothing but speculation.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)