May 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Craig Berube may or may not be a candidate to replace Dale Hunter behind the bench in Washington, but he’d like to be.
“Any time you get an opportunity to be a head coach, you’re interested,” Berube said. “My situation is good here. No one has contacted me about it. We’ll see what happens.”
Berube played 1,054 games in the NHL, many of them in Washington with the Caps. His 3,149 PIM rank seventh all time in league history, just a few hundred behind Hunter (3,565).
Berube and Hunter are former teammates that remain good friends, and the two spoke often during the season.
But do they share the same hockey philosophy? The Flyers certainly don’t play conservative hockey under Peter Laviolette.
Come to think of it, perhaps a coach that’s part hard-nosed Hunter and part attacking-oriented Laviolette could work well in Washington.
Again though, Berube hasn’t even been contacted by the Caps, so for now this is nothing but speculation.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63