May 22, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
What promises to be a big offseason for the Red Wings will be on hold for the time being.
That’s the message out of Detroit today as GM Ken Holland told MLive.com no decisions will be made regarding captain Nicklas Lidstrom and forward Tomas Holmstrom until after the organization’s pro scouting meetings from June 2-4.
“Whenever Nick is prepared to make a decision, I’m prepared to receive it,” Holland said. “I told [Holmstrom] a couple of weeks ago we won’t decide anything until after the pro scouting meetings.
“We want him to decide if he’s healthy and if he has the passion and the energy to play another season.”
Unlike Lidstrom, Holmstrom’s decision is not entirely up to him. Holland said the 39-year-old’s return for a possible 16th season in Detroit is “not strictly his call”, suggesting the Wings may want to free up cap space and a roster spot for a free agent target.
As for Detroit’s other impending free agents: Jiri Hudler has had conversations with Holland and the GM “anticipates more dialogue” in the coming weeks.
MLive reports that soon-to-be-UFA Brad Stuart is unlikely to return and “will almost certainly sign with a team closer to his home in San Jose.”
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 13
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28