May 22, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
What promises to be a big offseason for the Red Wings will be on hold for the time being.
That’s the message out of Detroit today as GM Ken Holland told MLive.com no decisions will be made regarding captain Nicklas Lidstrom and forward Tomas Holmstrom until after the organization’s pro scouting meetings from June 2-4.
“Whenever Nick is prepared to make a decision, I’m prepared to receive it,” Holland said. “I told [Holmstrom] a couple of weeks ago we won’t decide anything until after the pro scouting meetings.
“We want him to decide if he’s healthy and if he has the passion and the energy to play another season.”
Unlike Lidstrom, Holmstrom’s decision is not entirely up to him. Holland said the 39-year-old’s return for a possible 16th season in Detroit is “not strictly his call”, suggesting the Wings may want to free up cap space and a roster spot for a free agent target.
As for Detroit’s other impending free agents: Jiri Hudler has had conversations with Holland and the GM “anticipates more dialogue” in the coming weeks.
MLive reports that soon-to-be-UFA Brad Stuart is unlikely to return and “will almost certainly sign with a team closer to his home in San Jose.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39