May 22, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals will have a few things to address in the offseason. They need a new coach, they have a handful of lifetime Caps that need new contracts (Alex Semin and Mike Green for instance), and they want to build on their playoff success.
One guy that wants to help them do that is impending free agent Dennis Wideman. Wideman tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley he’d love to stay with the Caps and keep things rolling in D.C.
“Yeah, I like it here,” Wideman said when asked if he’d like to return to the Capitals next season. “I had a lot of fun here in the last year. I obviously like where we’re going. The core group of guys here is really, really good. So, why not? Yeah, I’d love to be back.”
At 29-years-old Wideman is a good offensive defenseman. Keeping him buckled down defensively, however, is a problem and if the Caps new dedication to defense is going to become their M.O. then Wideman may not be in the plans.
As it is, Caps GM George McPhee has a lot of other tough decisions to think about this summer and Wideman may not be at the top of his to-do list for contracts. Wideman’s offensive production is more than enough (11 goals, 34 assists) to have other teams come calling for him. Resisting the lure of free agency might be too much for the Caps to keep him around.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)