May 22, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals will have a few things to address in the offseason. They need a new coach, they have a handful of lifetime Caps that need new contracts (Alex Semin and Mike Green for instance), and they want to build on their playoff success.
One guy that wants to help them do that is impending free agent Dennis Wideman. Wideman tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley he’d love to stay with the Caps and keep things rolling in D.C.
“Yeah, I like it here,” Wideman said when asked if he’d like to return to the Capitals next season. “I had a lot of fun here in the last year. I obviously like where we’re going. The core group of guys here is really, really good. So, why not? Yeah, I’d love to be back.”
At 29-years-old Wideman is a good offensive defenseman. Keeping him buckled down defensively, however, is a problem and if the Caps new dedication to defense is going to become their M.O. then Wideman may not be in the plans.
As it is, Caps GM George McPhee has a lot of other tough decisions to think about this summer and Wideman may not be at the top of his to-do list for contracts. Wideman’s offensive production is more than enough (11 goals, 34 assists) to have other teams come calling for him. Resisting the lure of free agency might be too much for the Caps to keep him around.
- Weber’s shot leaves Sens’ Ceci, Anderson reeling 3
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)