May 22, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals will have a few things to address in the offseason. They need a new coach, they have a handful of lifetime Caps that need new contracts (Alex Semin and Mike Green for instance), and they want to build on their playoff success.
One guy that wants to help them do that is impending free agent Dennis Wideman. Wideman tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley he’d love to stay with the Caps and keep things rolling in D.C.
“Yeah, I like it here,” Wideman said when asked if he’d like to return to the Capitals next season. “I had a lot of fun here in the last year. I obviously like where we’re going. The core group of guys here is really, really good. So, why not? Yeah, I’d love to be back.”
At 29-years-old Wideman is a good offensive defenseman. Keeping him buckled down defensively, however, is a problem and if the Caps new dedication to defense is going to become their M.O. then Wideman may not be in the plans.
As it is, Caps GM George McPhee has a lot of other tough decisions to think about this summer and Wideman may not be at the top of his to-do list for contracts. Wideman’s offensive production is more than enough (11 goals, 34 assists) to have other teams come calling for him. Resisting the lure of free agency might be too much for the Caps to keep him around.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)