May 22, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals will have a few things to address in the offseason. They need a new coach, they have a handful of lifetime Caps that need new contracts (Alex Semin and Mike Green for instance), and they want to build on their playoff success.
One guy that wants to help them do that is impending free agent Dennis Wideman. Wideman tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley he’d love to stay with the Caps and keep things rolling in D.C.
“Yeah, I like it here,” Wideman said when asked if he’d like to return to the Capitals next season. “I had a lot of fun here in the last year. I obviously like where we’re going. The core group of guys here is really, really good. So, why not? Yeah, I’d love to be back.”
At 29-years-old Wideman is a good offensive defenseman. Keeping him buckled down defensively, however, is a problem and if the Caps new dedication to defense is going to become their M.O. then Wideman may not be in the plans.
As it is, Caps GM George McPhee has a lot of other tough decisions to think about this summer and Wideman may not be at the top of his to-do list for contracts. Wideman’s offensive production is more than enough (11 goals, 34 assists) to have other teams come calling for him. Resisting the lure of free agency might be too much for the Caps to keep him around.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 52
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 54
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 161
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)