DeBoer on yelling match with Torts: “I think emotion takes over”

May 22, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

DeBoer

Devils coach Peter DeBoer was asked a number of questions today about the rivalry between his team and the New York Rangers – a rivalry that was on full display Monday in Newark.

Specifically, reporters wanted to know about the yelling match he had with John Tortorella after Rangers forward Mike Rupp took a shot at Martin Brodeur in the third period of Game 4.

“I think emotion takes over,” said DeBoer. “I took offense at what happened on the ice, and that was my outlet, right or wrong.”

And given the rivalry, does he think it could happen again?

“I don’t anticipate any more of that,” he said. “I think the stakes are too high going forward here for any of that stuff to show up. But you never know.”

DeBoer knows discipline has been a big key for the Devils this postseason. In the second round, they kept their cool while the Flyers lost theirs. In Games 3 and 4 of the current series, they had 11 combined power-play opportunities to New York’s three.

“I think the most important thing for us is the young guys learning to manage their emotions against a rival like the Rangers,” he said. “And I think we’ve done a very good job of that.”

1. dipspit55 - May 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

DeBoer is out coaching Tortorella

• supr49er - May 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I agree. And it doesn’t hurt to have Oates and Robinson.

• martysbetter - May 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I have the displeasure of listening to ESPN New York on my evening drive home, and all they could talk about on Monday was how Deboer “doesn’t have the pulse of his team” like Tortorella does.

How this is even said with a straight face is hilarious to me, Deboer keeps finding ways for the Devils to best their opponents while Torts can’t even get his guys to show up to any games after a W.

• duece430 - May 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Just flip the dial down to ESPN New Jersey. Oh wait…never mind

• crisisofinfinitephils - May 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Which is funny because, until this month, you literally had to be at MSG to here that crap station.

• 0987654321abc - May 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Deboer = 0 stanley cups
        Torterella = 1 Stanley Cup
        “Nuff Said”
        Its a back and forth series ladies and gentlemen. Dont stand too tall Devils fans I see alot of you on here right now but let me ask you were you guys posting after we shut you out in your own house? Thats what I thought, how did Deboer outclass Torterella then?

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Series tied 2-2,,, hardly would call that out coaching !

2. quonce - May 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Yes he has been out coaching him. Out classing him as well!

• homerx - May 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

How has he outclassed Torts when he was the one that started the yelling match? Let’s get real folks, the Devils have outplayed the Rangers for a good portion of the series yet the Rangers have two shutouts and it’s tied 2-2. The Rangers have not played well; should they find their game the Devils are in trouble.

Putting the Devils and their coach on a pedestal is looking at the series through red colored glasses. As a Rangers fan I am frustrated with Torts but that doesn’t make him a bad coach; he has won the cup. His lack of media friendliness frustrates me but last night I thought his post game was great.

3. tonyromoisterrible - May 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Torts is a classless pr1ck. I hope he is no longer employed after this season.

4. brian32556 - May 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM

HEY BROUGH! DON’T LET THE FACTS GET IN THE WAY – they played Saturday and Monday NOT SUNDAY!!

• Jason Brough - May 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It was a holiday yesterday in Canada. Felt like a Sunday.

• brian32556 - May 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Too much Molson Brador, eh!

5. goon48 - May 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I think it’s funny that Torts is such a jerk and gets all of the attention off of his team, the fact remains if it wasn’t for the Rangers goalie Henrik Lundquist the Devils would have moved on already.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches