May 22, 2012, 1:16 PM EST
Devils coach Peter DeBoer was asked a number of questions today about the rivalry between his team and the New York Rangers – a rivalry that was on full display Monday in Newark.
“I think emotion takes over,” said DeBoer. “I took offense at what happened on the ice, and that was my outlet, right or wrong.”
And given the rivalry, does he think it could happen again?
“I don’t anticipate any more of that,” he said. “I think the stakes are too high going forward here for any of that stuff to show up. But you never know.”
DeBoer knows discipline has been a big key for the Devils this postseason. In the second round, they kept their cool while the Flyers lost theirs. In Games 3 and 4 of the current series, they had 11 combined power-play opportunities to New York’s three.
“I think the most important thing for us is the young guys learning to manage their emotions against a rival like the Rangers,” he said. “And I think we’ve done a very good job of that.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)