May 22, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
In case you’re not aware, the Sutter clan once flooded the NHL much like the Staals and (to a lesser extent) the Millers do today. Brent and Darryl are still among the head coaching ranks so it’s interesting to hear what another one of the NHL-level Sutter brothers has to say about Darryl Sutter’s deep run into the playoffs.
Brian Sutter had plenty of thoughts on Darryl’s great work with the Los Angeles Kings, as he told George Johnson.
“Am I surprised? Nope,” Brian Sutter said. “I find it really interesting that everybody talks about how hockey’s changed, the new NHL, all that. . . well, people haven’t changed. People still need to be motivated. To motivate them, you’ve got to communicate with them.
“That will never change.”
“The people who can get their message across will always be able to get their teams to play hard, up to their expectations, capabilities, and then go beyond what they figured was possible. Those guys are good coaches. That’s why Dave Tippett’s done what he has, why Ken Hitchcock did what he did. And why Darryl’s doing what he’s doing.”
Surely a team well-stocked with talent and some solid X’s and O’s won’t hurt either. Hitchcock and Tippett clearly have a knack for strategy along with motivation while Sutter deserves a lot of credit for maintaining the Kings’ defense while opening up their offense as well.
Still, there’s certainly some credence to Brian’s folksy wisdom. Across all sports, there are usually a handful of coaches who can adapt to the times or simply keep connecting with players. Darryl Sutter seems to be doing that very well in Los Angeles.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)