May 21, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Petr Skyora will be a healthy scratch for the first time this postseason when the Devils and Rangers lock horns for Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals. In his place, Jacob Josefson will return to the lineup and center a line between David Clarkson and Alexei Ponikarovsky.
Sykora, 35, is a two-time Stanley Cup champion that’s played in a remarkable five Stanley Cup finals. As such, he’s disappointed at being dropped from the lineup and feels he still has something to give.
“Obviously, I want to be out there,” he told NorthJersey.com. “I feel like I can score some goals, but it’s the way it is.”
Goals have been hard to come by for New Jersey this series — they have just three in three games and have been shut out twice — and the hope is that Josefson can produce some offense, something Sykora hasn’t done since Game 4 of the Philly series (he’s scoreless in four.) But what might be most interesting about the Josefson-for-Sykora swap wasn’t the players involved, but rather what Sykora had to say about beating Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist:
“He’s playing really deep in the net. I think we can surprise him with a few shots from far. He’s so deep, maybe just go around the D instead of going through zone. Maybe get a couple shots through the defensemen’s legs and just get a couple weird shots from the corners, create traffic, just something like that.
“When he sees the puck, he’s not going to let it in. We had some breakaways last game. We had some 2-on-1s. I had a shot from probably 10 to 15 feet and I thought I had a scoring shot, a perfect shot I ht and he still made a save.”
If Sykora’s managed to relay this intel to his teammates, don’t be surprised if the Devils start throwing pucks from the side boards or other unconventional angles.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54