May 21, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have hired an architect to design a new downtown arena, reports Sports Business Journal.
While it’s no secret the club covets a new barn to replace Joe Louis Arena (opened in 1979), picking preeminent stadium architecture firm HKS to get started “is a sign the team is moving ahead with the project,” writes SBJ.
One of the sites the Wings are reportedly considering is around the Fox Theatre (A), not far from Ford Field (Lions) and Comerica Park (Tigers).
Fox Theatre serves as headquarters for Olympia Entertainment, Mike Ilitch’s company that owns the Red Wings and Tigers, among other things.
Parking appears ample.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games