May 21, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
There’s a segment of the New York Rangers fan base that doesn’t agree with the notion that Michael Del Zotto has improved his defense all that much since his up-and-down rookie season. In Game 4, it appeared that John Tortorella agreed.
After receiving 7:28 time on ice in the first period, Del Zotto played in just one shift in the second period (1:40) and four in third (for 2:31). It’s pretty easy to see why MDZ was warming the bench as he was guilty of some glaring lapses on defense, which was a point made most abundantly clear when Zach Parise embarrassed him to set up Travis Zajac‘s 2-0 eventual game-winner:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That segment of Rangers fans often call him “Del Zaster,”* although the exact spelling might range depending upon the angry message boards/Twitter feeds you frequent. Del Zotto registered a secondary assist on the Rangers’ only goal so perhaps he will get a chance to redeem himself, but there was no mistaking how Tortorella felt. Along with sitting on the bench, MDZ served one of Mike Rupp‘s roughing penalties because the tough guy was booted from the game.
Voice your opinion on what Tortorella should do with MDZ, then. Should he be a scratch? Should he get Stu Bickell-type minutes or go back to his typical, healthy amount of minutes?
* Joke-killing clarification: “disaster.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)