May 21, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings aren’t satisfied with merely rampaging their way through the 2012 playoffs. They want to leave us guffawing all the way through it.
Their Twitter account is the thing of consistent snarky genius. They made a prank from “The Office” come true. Yet some fans might be a little lost in all the comic chaos, so the Kings’ Web site provides a rather hilarious (albeit maybe a bit “actually needed”), meta-tastic infographic that you can check out here.
It’s too large to post here, but let’s go over some of the bigger laughs.
- The Kings rattle off their long list of team logos, but they also remind people that they never employed the NBA Sacramento Kings’ image. Also: “Zero: Years Kings have either played in Sacramento, thought about playing in Sacramento or invested in a feasibility report on a potential move to Sacramento.” (Sounds like a solid quip toward both the Kings and the Golden State Warriors, really.)
- Drew Doughty‘s career goals: 43; Brad Doty’s: 0. (Full discretion: I had to Google Brad Doty. I’m not a racing guru, but apparently a local anchor mixed the two up.)
- Question: “Do celebrities come to Kings games too?” Answer: “Only the Canadian ones” (with a photo of Justin Bieber).
The Kings aren’t required to have some much fun with their playoff run, yet in a bloated sports city with approximately five bajillion other entertainment options, it doesn’t hurt. Even if it gets them “in trouble” from time to time.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)