May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Hurricanes got ahead of the offseason crush by re-signing one of their own.
Jamie McBain signed on for two more seasons and $3.6 million with Carolina, good for a cap hit of $1.8 million per year. The 24-year-old defenseman was due to become a restricted free agent this summer but decided Carolina was the place to stick around. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is happy to keep him in the fold.
“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”
McBain had a career-high eight goals this season and 27 points, making him tops amongst Carolina defensemen. McBain is part of a youthful corps in Carolina along with fellow blue liner Justin Faulk and forwards Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
McBain and Skinner also lead the charge for instant inspiration from The Simpsons. Now if we could just get Niklas “Super Nintendo” Hjalmarsson to Raleigh we’d really have something.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)