May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Hurricanes got ahead of the offseason crush by re-signing one of their own.
Jamie McBain signed on for two more seasons and $3.6 million with Carolina, good for a cap hit of $1.8 million per year. The 24-year-old defenseman was due to become a restricted free agent this summer but decided Carolina was the place to stick around. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is happy to keep him in the fold.
“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”
McBain had a career-high eight goals this season and 27 points, making him tops amongst Carolina defensemen. McBain is part of a youthful corps in Carolina along with fellow blue liner Justin Faulk and forwards Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
McBain and Skinner also lead the charge for instant inspiration from The Simpsons. Now if we could just get Niklas “Super Nintendo” Hjalmarsson to Raleigh we’d really have something.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)