May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
The Hurricanes got ahead of the offseason crush by re-signing one of their own.
Jamie McBain signed on for two more seasons and $3.6 million with Carolina, good for a cap hit of $1.8 million per year. The 24-year-old defenseman was due to become a restricted free agent this summer but decided Carolina was the place to stick around. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is happy to keep him in the fold.
“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”
McBain had a career-high eight goals this season and 27 points, making him tops amongst Carolina defensemen. McBain is part of a youthful corps in Carolina along with fellow blue liner Justin Faulk and forwards Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
McBain and Skinner also lead the charge for instant inspiration from The Simpsons. Now if we could just get Niklas “Super Nintendo” Hjalmarsson to Raleigh we’d really have something.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)