May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Hurricanes got ahead of the offseason crush by re-signing one of their own.
Jamie McBain signed on for two more seasons and $3.6 million with Carolina, good for a cap hit of $1.8 million per year. The 24-year-old defenseman was due to become a restricted free agent this summer but decided Carolina was the place to stick around. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is happy to keep him in the fold.
“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”
McBain had a career-high eight goals this season and 27 points, making him tops amongst Carolina defensemen. McBain is part of a youthful corps in Carolina along with fellow blue liner Justin Faulk and forwards Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
McBain and Skinner also lead the charge for instant inspiration from The Simpsons. Now if we could just get Niklas “Super Nintendo” Hjalmarsson to Raleigh we’d really have something.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)