May 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
The Hurricanes got ahead of the offseason crush by re-signing one of their own.
Jamie McBain signed on for two more seasons and $3.6 million with Carolina, good for a cap hit of $1.8 million per year. The 24-year-old defenseman was due to become a restricted free agent this summer but decided Carolina was the place to stick around. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is happy to keep him in the fold.
“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”
McBain had a career-high eight goals this season and 27 points, making him tops amongst Carolina defensemen. McBain is part of a youthful corps in Carolina along with fellow blue liner Justin Faulk and forwards Jeff Skinner and Brandon Sutter.
McBain and Skinner also lead the charge for instant inspiration from The Simpsons. Now if we could just get Niklas “Super Nintendo” Hjalmarsson to Raleigh we’d really have something.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)