May 21, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
Pierre McGuire said that he needed to mute his microphone when John Tortorella and Peter DeBoer exchanged words during Game 4. That’s probably the most context we’re going to receive regarding the New Jersey Devils’and New York Rangers head coaches’ exchange – at least for a while – as both bench bosses went the “no comment” route during press conferences tonight.
Here’s another look at that brief argument, if you’re a fantastic lip reader.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Since the two coaches aren’t expressing themselves, let’s take a quick look back at a rapidly building rivalry.
When the teams engaged in a steady stream of fights during the regular season, DeBoer bashed Tortorella for putting his ruffians on the ice while Torts critiqued DeBoer’s memory. Things were (relatively) quiet in the series until Game 3, when Torts complained about Devils players “staying down” on the ice to get calls. DeBoer called Tortorella’s comments “comical,” which provided plenty of comedy for hockey fans waiting in between contests.
Tonight’s antics provide the highlight clip of the rivalry, yet it’s not exactly the first time they’ve “expressed pleasantries.” The odds seem high that this won’t be the last time, either.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)