May 21, 2012, 11:22 PM EST
Pierre McGuire said that he needed to mute his microphone when John Tortorella and Peter DeBoer exchanged words during Game 4. That’s probably the most context we’re going to receive regarding the New Jersey Devils’and New York Rangers head coaches’ exchange – at least for a while – as both bench bosses went the “no comment” route during press conferences tonight.
Here’s another look at that brief argument, if you’re a fantastic lip reader.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Since the two coaches aren’t expressing themselves, let’s take a quick look back at a rapidly building rivalry.
When the teams engaged in a steady stream of fights during the regular season, DeBoer bashed Tortorella for putting his ruffians on the ice while Torts critiqued DeBoer’s memory. Things were (relatively) quiet in the series until Game 3, when Torts complained about Devils players “staying down” on the ice to get calls. DeBoer called Tortorella’s comments “comical,” which provided plenty of comedy for hockey fans waiting in between contests.
Tonight’s antics provide the highlight clip of the rivalry, yet it’s not exactly the first time they’ve “expressed pleasantries.” The odds seem high that this won’t be the last time, either.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)