May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Devils coach Peter DeBoer confirmed this morning what we heard yesterday, young forward Jacob Josefson will get his first start in the playoffs taking the place of veteran Petr Sykora. The Devils are making it clear it’s not a panic move and DeBoer told reporters this morning it was a tough decision to make since the team is playing well.
“Yeah, it was tough to shake things up in that I felt we played a solid game,” DeBoer said. “We still – we didn’t score. So that made it easier.
“What pushed me in this direction is just the availability of another very good player in Josefson. He hadn’t been available up until this point. So he’s available. You throw him in the mix, and, yeah, it’s tough decisions when you’re sitting out Sykora who has played well for us this year and scored some goals.”
Josefson has been out since early April thanks to a broken wrist and Sykora has struggled terribly against the Rangers. Getting new blood in there never hurts, but with the Devils down 2-1 in the series any move will be put under the microscope. DeBoer hopes Josefson can help make him and the rest of the team look good after tonight.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 14
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)