May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Devils coach Peter DeBoer confirmed this morning what we heard yesterday, young forward Jacob Josefson will get his first start in the playoffs taking the place of veteran Petr Sykora. The Devils are making it clear it’s not a panic move and DeBoer told reporters this morning it was a tough decision to make since the team is playing well.
“Yeah, it was tough to shake things up in that I felt we played a solid game,” DeBoer said. “We still – we didn’t score. So that made it easier.
“What pushed me in this direction is just the availability of another very good player in Josefson. He hadn’t been available up until this point. So he’s available. You throw him in the mix, and, yeah, it’s tough decisions when you’re sitting out Sykora who has played well for us this year and scored some goals.”
Josefson has been out since early April thanks to a broken wrist and Sykora has struggled terribly against the Rangers. Getting new blood in there never hurts, but with the Devils down 2-1 in the series any move will be put under the microscope. DeBoer hopes Josefson can help make him and the rest of the team look good after tonight.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)