May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Devils coach Peter DeBoer confirmed this morning what we heard yesterday, young forward Jacob Josefson will get his first start in the playoffs taking the place of veteran Petr Sykora. The Devils are making it clear it’s not a panic move and DeBoer told reporters this morning it was a tough decision to make since the team is playing well.
“Yeah, it was tough to shake things up in that I felt we played a solid game,” DeBoer said. “We still – we didn’t score. So that made it easier.
“What pushed me in this direction is just the availability of another very good player in Josefson. He hadn’t been available up until this point. So he’s available. You throw him in the mix, and, yeah, it’s tough decisions when you’re sitting out Sykora who has played well for us this year and scored some goals.”
Josefson has been out since early April thanks to a broken wrist and Sykora has struggled terribly against the Rangers. Getting new blood in there never hurts, but with the Devils down 2-1 in the series any move will be put under the microscope. DeBoer hopes Josefson can help make him and the rest of the team look good after tonight.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)