May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Devils coach Peter DeBoer confirmed this morning what we heard yesterday, young forward Jacob Josefson will get his first start in the playoffs taking the place of veteran Petr Sykora. The Devils are making it clear it’s not a panic move and DeBoer told reporters this morning it was a tough decision to make since the team is playing well.
“Yeah, it was tough to shake things up in that I felt we played a solid game,” DeBoer said. “We still – we didn’t score. So that made it easier.
“What pushed me in this direction is just the availability of another very good player in Josefson. He hadn’t been available up until this point. So he’s available. You throw him in the mix, and, yeah, it’s tough decisions when you’re sitting out Sykora who has played well for us this year and scored some goals.”
Josefson has been out since early April thanks to a broken wrist and Sykora has struggled terribly against the Rangers. Getting new blood in there never hurts, but with the Devils down 2-1 in the series any move will be put under the microscope. DeBoer hopes Josefson can help make him and the rest of the team look good after tonight.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)