May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Devils coach Peter DeBoer confirmed this morning what we heard yesterday, young forward Jacob Josefson will get his first start in the playoffs taking the place of veteran Petr Sykora. The Devils are making it clear it’s not a panic move and DeBoer told reporters this morning it was a tough decision to make since the team is playing well.
“Yeah, it was tough to shake things up in that I felt we played a solid game,” DeBoer said. “We still – we didn’t score. So that made it easier.
“What pushed me in this direction is just the availability of another very good player in Josefson. He hadn’t been available up until this point. So he’s available. You throw him in the mix, and, yeah, it’s tough decisions when you’re sitting out Sykora who has played well for us this year and scored some goals.”
Josefson has been out since early April thanks to a broken wrist and Sykora has struggled terribly against the Rangers. Getting new blood in there never hurts, but with the Devils down 2-1 in the series any move will be put under the microscope. DeBoer hopes Josefson can help make him and the rest of the team look good after tonight.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)