May 21, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
There was some real “outside the box” thinking on display during today’s Coyotes practice interviews. One reporter asked Dave Tippett about the correlation between coaching the team to victory…and monetary windfall.
As you might expect, the Phoenix head coach offered very, very little in response:
Q: I know it’s a long way from what you’re thinking about, but this is nine playoff gates you will have contributed to the company bank account here.
COACH TIPPETT: You’re asking the wrong person about that.
Q. Do you feel you’ve done something in terms of making this a more valuable commodity?
COACH TIPPETT: The only bank account I worry about are wins. The business side can take care of itself. That’s inconsequential to us. It’s great that there’s a buzz in the city, we created a buzz because of the wins. If you think this team is in here winning because it’s raising money, that’s the wrong attitude.
“The only bank account I worry about are wins” is a good line and I hope Tippett keeps rolling with it. Like when the Coyotes win, he can say “No big deal, we just made another withdrawal.”
When they lose, he can say something like “You know, tonight we just had insufficient funds,” or “The ATM ate our debit card.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)