May 21, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
There was some real “outside the box” thinking on display during today’s Coyotes practice interviews. One reporter asked Dave Tippett about the correlation between coaching the team to victory…and monetary windfall.
As you might expect, the Phoenix head coach offered very, very little in response:
Q: I know it’s a long way from what you’re thinking about, but this is nine playoff gates you will have contributed to the company bank account here.
COACH TIPPETT: You’re asking the wrong person about that.
Q. Do you feel you’ve done something in terms of making this a more valuable commodity?
COACH TIPPETT: The only bank account I worry about are wins. The business side can take care of itself. That’s inconsequential to us. It’s great that there’s a buzz in the city, we created a buzz because of the wins. If you think this team is in here winning because it’s raising money, that’s the wrong attitude.
“The only bank account I worry about are wins” is a good line and I hope Tippett keeps rolling with it. Like when the Coyotes win, he can say “No big deal, we just made another withdrawal.”
When they lose, he can say something like “You know, tonight we just had insufficient funds,” or “The ATM ate our debit card.”
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)