May 21, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
Murphy classified the situation as a “stalemate” upon speaking with Kelly’s agent, Pat Morris, who is waiting for word from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“We haven’t heard from Peter yet so we’re just waiting for his call and we’ll hopefully get the dialogue going,” Morris told ESPN. “Chris obviously has a warm spot in his heart for Boston since he won the Cup here and loves this team, so he has made it clear he’d like to stay, but we’re also going to have to keep our options open the closer we get to July 1.”
Kelly, 31, will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1 after spending the last year and a half in Boston, notching a career-best 20 goals and 39 points in 2011-12.
Should he go to market, Kelly will likely receive plenty of attention. The free agent crop is bereft of centers — Jarret Stoll, Olli Jokinen and Jason Arnott headline the UFA list — and Kelly has proven to be a solid, reliable two-way center in Boston, finishing fourth in the NHL this season with a plus-33 rating.
That said, Kelly has made it clear he wants to stay put.
“I’ve made it clear I like it here and I’m not just telling you that,” he told reporters during his end-of-year media availability. “I really do like it here. Some guys just say that, but everything about Boston has been a pleasant surprise. From the team, the coaching staff, the management all the way down to the city.
“I didn’t know anything about the city after coming here last year, but my wife and I — and my family — have really grown to love it here.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)