May 21, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Here’s an interesting idea from the Department of Significant Ifs: Larry Brooks floats the theory that the Montreal Canadiens might “inquire” about Alex Radulov if they hire Patrick Roy as their head coach.
At this point, you might be scratching your head and asking why an “enigmatic Russian forward” would have a bond with the fiery former French Canadian superstar goalie. Brooks points out that Radulov won a Memorial Cup with Roy’s Quebec Ramparts, which explains why such a connection might happen.
Eye on Hockey’s Brian Stubits is probably correct when he places this rumor in the “insanity” range, mentioning (for one thing) that Roy’s presence as a Habs coach is far from a certainty. Stubits also says that Radulov is as good as gone from the NHL and that might be true, too. Still, I’d like to think that there’s at least a chance that a team might offer the restricted free agent a competitive enough contract to a) pry him from Nashville and b) keep him from fleeing to the KHL. If Radulov isn’t satisfied with the brief second taste of NHL play, then a reasonably decent offer might just keep him in the world’s best league.
And if that’s a possibility, perhaps the Habs might just have a shot. (A long shot, mind you, but a shot.)
What do you think, though? Would Radulov consider a jaunt in Montreal? Perhaps most interestingly, do you think he’d be a big difference-maker for the Habs?
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)