May 21, 2012, 8:02 PM EST
Here’s an interesting idea from the Department of Significant Ifs: Larry Brooks floats the theory that the Montreal Canadiens might “inquire” about Alex Radulov if they hire Patrick Roy as their head coach.
At this point, you might be scratching your head and asking why an “enigmatic Russian forward” would have a bond with the fiery former French Canadian superstar goalie. Brooks points out that Radulov won a Memorial Cup with Roy’s Quebec Ramparts, which explains why such a connection might happen.
Eye on Hockey’s Brian Stubits is probably correct when he places this rumor in the “insanity” range, mentioning (for one thing) that Roy’s presence as a Habs coach is far from a certainty. Stubits also says that Radulov is as good as gone from the NHL and that might be true, too. Still, I’d like to think that there’s at least a chance that a team might offer the restricted free agent a competitive enough contract to a) pry him from Nashville and b) keep him from fleeing to the KHL. If Radulov isn’t satisfied with the brief second taste of NHL play, then a reasonably decent offer might just keep him in the world’s best league.
And if that’s a possibility, perhaps the Habs might just have a shot. (A long shot, mind you, but a shot.)
What do you think, though? Would Radulov consider a jaunt in Montreal? Perhaps most interestingly, do you think he’d be a big difference-maker for the Habs?
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 11
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 10
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 15
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)