May 21, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Here’s an interesting idea from the Department of Significant Ifs: Larry Brooks floats the theory that the Montreal Canadiens might “inquire” about Alex Radulov if they hire Patrick Roy as their head coach.
At this point, you might be scratching your head and asking why an “enigmatic Russian forward” would have a bond with the fiery former French Canadian superstar goalie. Brooks points out that Radulov won a Memorial Cup with Roy’s Quebec Ramparts, which explains why such a connection might happen.
Eye on Hockey’s Brian Stubits is probably correct when he places this rumor in the “insanity” range, mentioning (for one thing) that Roy’s presence as a Habs coach is far from a certainty. Stubits also says that Radulov is as good as gone from the NHL and that might be true, too. Still, I’d like to think that there’s at least a chance that a team might offer the restricted free agent a competitive enough contract to a) pry him from Nashville and b) keep him from fleeing to the KHL. If Radulov isn’t satisfied with the brief second taste of NHL play, then a reasonably decent offer might just keep him in the world’s best league.
And if that’s a possibility, perhaps the Habs might just have a shot. (A long shot, mind you, but a shot.)
What do you think, though? Would Radulov consider a jaunt in Montreal? Perhaps most interestingly, do you think he’d be a big difference-maker for the Habs?
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)