May 21, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
The free agent defenseman market thinned out this morning when Jamie McBain re-upped with Carolina.
This afternoon, it thinned out some more.
That’s because the Buffalo Sabres locked up Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal worth $725,000. Sulzer, 27, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 — and despite his struggles to crack the NHL level during his first five years in North America, it’s likely he would’ve garnered interested on the open market.
Why? Well, after coming over from Vancouver in the Cody Hodgson-Zack Kassian trade at the deadline, Sulzer flourished on a Buffalo blueline decimated by injury. He had 3G-5A-8PTS in 15 games with a plus-2 rating, and the Sabres went 10-3-2 with him in the lineup.
What this means for Buffalo’s defense moving forward remains to be seen. As John Vogl of the Buffalo News reports, the Sabres now have eight defensemen under contract for next season: Tyler Myers, Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, Jordan Leopold, Andrej Sekera, Mike Weber, Brayden McNabb and Sulzer.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)