May 21, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The same day the Hurricanes announced the signing of defenseman Jamie “Ice To See You” McBain to a two-year contract, general manager Jim Rutherford confirmed veteran d-man Bryan Allen is headed for unrestricted free agency on July 1.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer, Rutherford offered Allen a contract, but the 31-year-old didn’t think much of the offer.
Allen’s coming off a solid season with the ‘Canes. He played all 82 games, scored once, added 13 assists, and led the team with 188 blocked shots (fourth most in the NHL).
What’s debatable now is Rutherford’s decision to hold onto Allen at the trade deadline despite his team’s position far down the standings at the time. At the very least, the Hurricanes could’ve received a draft pick or two.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)