May 21, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The same day the Hurricanes announced the signing of defenseman Jamie “Ice To See You” McBain to a two-year contract, general manager Jim Rutherford confirmed veteran d-man Bryan Allen is headed for unrestricted free agency on July 1.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer, Rutherford offered Allen a contract, but the 31-year-old didn’t think much of the offer.
Allen’s coming off a solid season with the ‘Canes. He played all 82 games, scored once, added 13 assists, and led the team with 188 blocked shots (fourth most in the NHL).
What’s debatable now is Rutherford’s decision to hold onto Allen at the trade deadline despite his team’s position far down the standings at the time. At the very least, the Hurricanes could’ve received a draft pick or two.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9