May 21, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The same day the Hurricanes announced the signing of defenseman Jamie “Ice To See You” McBain to a two-year contract, general manager Jim Rutherford confirmed veteran d-man Bryan Allen is headed for unrestricted free agency on July 1.
According to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer, Rutherford offered Allen a contract, but the 31-year-old didn’t think much of the offer.
Allen’s coming off a solid season with the ‘Canes. He played all 82 games, scored once, added 13 assists, and led the team with 188 blocked shots (fourth most in the NHL).
What’s debatable now is Rutherford’s decision to hold onto Allen at the trade deadline despite his team’s position far down the standings at the time. At the very least, the Hurricanes could’ve received a draft pick or two.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 10
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 66
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (64)