May 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EST
The brief-but-entertaining screaming match between Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella wasn’t the only noteworthy moment from the big scuffle during Game 4 of New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils. The whole situation boiled out of control when Mike Rupp took a shot at former Devils teammate Martin Brodeur. Brodeur didn’t beat around the bush while providing his assessment of the skirmish.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The future Hall of Famer also spoke with Tom Gulitti about the punch.
“Rupp or no Rupp, it doesn’t matter,” Brodeur said. “I didn’t expect it. I never got punched like that in my career.”
Brodeur should be able to shake it off because he only allowed one goal in that 4-1 victory and set a record for netminders with his fourth assist of the postseason (according to NBC Sports Network).
Meanwhile, Tortorella said that the whole situation could have been avoided because a penalty shouldn’t have been called. He also told Andrew Gross and others that he doesn’t think Rupp will receive a suspension.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)