May 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
The brief-but-entertaining screaming match between Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella wasn’t the only noteworthy moment from the big scuffle during Game 4 of New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils. The whole situation boiled out of control when Mike Rupp took a shot at former Devils teammate Martin Brodeur. Brodeur didn’t beat around the bush while providing his assessment of the skirmish.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The future Hall of Famer also spoke with Tom Gulitti about the punch.
“Rupp or no Rupp, it doesn’t matter,” Brodeur said. “I didn’t expect it. I never got punched like that in my career.”
Brodeur should be able to shake it off because he only allowed one goal in that 4-1 victory and set a record for netminders with his fourth assist of the postseason (according to NBC Sports Network).
Meanwhile, Tortorella said that the whole situation could have been avoided because a penalty shouldn’t have been called. He also told Andrew Gross and others that he doesn’t think Rupp will receive a suspension.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)