May 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
The brief-but-entertaining screaming match between Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella wasn’t the only noteworthy moment from the big scuffle during Game 4 of New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils. The whole situation boiled out of control when Mike Rupp took a shot at former Devils teammate Martin Brodeur. Brodeur didn’t beat around the bush while providing his assessment of the skirmish.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The future Hall of Famer also spoke with Tom Gulitti about the punch.
“Rupp or no Rupp, it doesn’t matter,” Brodeur said. “I didn’t expect it. I never got punched like that in my career.”
Brodeur should be able to shake it off because he only allowed one goal in that 4-1 victory and set a record for netminders with his fourth assist of the postseason (according to NBC Sports Network).
Meanwhile, Tortorella said that the whole situation could have been avoided because a penalty shouldn’t have been called. He also told Andrew Gross and others that he doesn’t think Rupp will receive a suspension.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)