May 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
The brief-but-entertaining screaming match between Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella wasn’t the only noteworthy moment from the big scuffle during Game 4 of New York Rangers-New Jersey Devils. The whole situation boiled out of control when Mike Rupp took a shot at former Devils teammate Martin Brodeur. Brodeur didn’t beat around the bush while providing his assessment of the skirmish.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The future Hall of Famer also spoke with Tom Gulitti about the punch.
“Rupp or no Rupp, it doesn’t matter,” Brodeur said. “I didn’t expect it. I never got punched like that in my career.”
Brodeur should be able to shake it off because he only allowed one goal in that 4-1 victory and set a record for netminders with his fourth assist of the postseason (according to NBC Sports Network).
Meanwhile, Tortorella said that the whole situation could have been avoided because a penalty shouldn’t have been called. He also told Andrew Gross and others that he doesn’t think Rupp will receive a suspension.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)