May 20, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
The passive-aggressive war of words Rangers coach John Tortorella and Devils coach Peter DeBoer are having is pretty fantastic.
We saw these two snipe at each other late in the season after their final regular season game saw numerous fights in the opening seconds. DeBoer called Tortorella a hypocrite over the line brawl while Tortorella told DeBoer to go stuff it. The playoffs are proving to be no different.
During his meet-up with the media this morning, Tortorella deflected talk of Brandon Prust‘s nasty elbow to the head of Anton Volchenkov to talk up the different things the Devils are doing that are against the rules.
“Prust has played probably 300-plus games without any hearing, anything going on with him. He’s probably one of the most honest players,” Tortorella said. “I look at Zubrus’ elbow to Stralman. I look at Parise launching himself at Del Zotto. Maybe if our players stayed down on the ice, we’ll get something.
“We tell our players don’t stay down on the ice. Get up. I hope – I’ll leave it at that. Picking on the power play, set plays, picking on the power play. If we want to start discussing officials with the media, I have a long list here. That’s a set play by Jersey. Picking so we can’t get to Kovalchuk to block a shot.”
If you’re counting at home that’s two hits called out and a not-so veiled insinuation that the Devils are embellishing as well as interfering to get their way.
As for Peter DeBoer, he was asked about Tortorella’s comments after this morning’s practice and did his best Tortorella impression when addressing it saying the accusations were, “Comical.”
It might be time to rent a barn for these two and have it out. The handshake line at the end of this series should be nice and frosty.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36