May 20, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
The passive-aggressive war of words Rangers coach John Tortorella and Devils coach Peter DeBoer are having is pretty fantastic.
We saw these two snipe at each other late in the season after their final regular season game saw numerous fights in the opening seconds. DeBoer called Tortorella a hypocrite over the line brawl while Tortorella told DeBoer to go stuff it. The playoffs are proving to be no different.
During his meet-up with the media this morning, Tortorella deflected talk of Brandon Prust‘s nasty elbow to the head of Anton Volchenkov to talk up the different things the Devils are doing that are against the rules.
“Prust has played probably 300-plus games without any hearing, anything going on with him. He’s probably one of the most honest players,” Tortorella said. “I look at Zubrus’ elbow to Stralman. I look at Parise launching himself at Del Zotto. Maybe if our players stayed down on the ice, we’ll get something.
“We tell our players don’t stay down on the ice. Get up. I hope – I’ll leave it at that. Picking on the power play, set plays, picking on the power play. If we want to start discussing officials with the media, I have a long list here. That’s a set play by Jersey. Picking so we can’t get to Kovalchuk to block a shot.”
If you’re counting at home that’s two hits called out and a not-so veiled insinuation that the Devils are embellishing as well as interfering to get their way.
As for Peter DeBoer, he was asked about Tortorella’s comments after this morning’s practice and did his best Tortorella impression when addressing it saying the accusations were, “Comical.”
It might be time to rent a barn for these two and have it out. The handshake line at the end of this series should be nice and frosty.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)