May 20, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
The bulk of chatter around the Vancouver Canucks this summer will surround whether the team trades either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider. With Schneider set to be a restricted free agent and Luongo being the whipping boy, it’s the sort of situation where it seems someone has to go.
Don’t tell Canucks GM Mike Gillis or Schneider’s agent Mike Liut that though as both of them tell the Vancouver Province they could see both goalies sticking around for a while.
Gillis told Hockey Night in Canada radio there’s a “distinct possibility” both Luongo and Schneider could stick together next season. Meanwhile, Liut sounds prepared to have his client play the role of backup or part-time starter in Vancouver for another year.
“Having both goalies back in Vancouver next year is definitely a possibility and probably the leading possibility,” Mike Liut, Cory Schnieder’s agent, told The Province.
“Cory will approach the season as he did this year — you focus on what you can control.”
As long as Schneider is under control by the Canucks, there’s not much he can do about changing his situation without causing a disturbance. There’s also the awkwardness that will exist with both guys in town and having distinct “Team Cory/Team Lu” kinds of debates amongst the fans as well.
Having two great goalies is a good thing, but it’s been a distraction once the playoffs rolled around. Can they co-exist without drama for another season? They may not have another choice.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 11
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 28
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 17
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 57
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39