May 20, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
The bulk of chatter around the Vancouver Canucks this summer will surround whether the team trades either Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider. With Schneider set to be a restricted free agent and Luongo being the whipping boy, it’s the sort of situation where it seems someone has to go.
Don’t tell Canucks GM Mike Gillis or Schneider’s agent Mike Liut that though as both of them tell the Vancouver Province they could see both goalies sticking around for a while.
Gillis told Hockey Night in Canada radio there’s a “distinct possibility” both Luongo and Schneider could stick together next season. Meanwhile, Liut sounds prepared to have his client play the role of backup or part-time starter in Vancouver for another year.
“Having both goalies back in Vancouver next year is definitely a possibility and probably the leading possibility,” Mike Liut, Cory Schnieder’s agent, told The Province.
“Cory will approach the season as he did this year — you focus on what you can control.”
As long as Schneider is under control by the Canucks, there’s not much he can do about changing his situation without causing a disturbance. There’s also the awkwardness that will exist with both guys in town and having distinct “Team Cory/Team Lu” kinds of debates amongst the fans as well.
Having two great goalies is a good thing, but it’s been a distraction once the playoffs rolled around. Can they co-exist without drama for another season? They may not have another choice.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off