May 20, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Doan was the only Phoenix Coyotes player who could beat Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick on Sunday. Combine that with a stellar performance from netminder Mike Smith and the Coyotes managed to stave off elimination.
His offensive contributions were key, but Tippett was quick to point out that Doan did more than just score goals in Phoenix’s 2-0 victory. Doan was an inspiration for guys in the dressing room, which is probably no small accomplishment when you’re team is fighting under the weight of a 3-0 series deficit.
“When you can do that behind-the-scenes stuff, bag it up with the on-the-ice stuff, it speaks volumes for who he is,” Tippet said in the post-game press conference. “We don’t have to sit here and talk about Shane Doan. Our players know, the league knows how strong-willed a guy he is. He went into this game thinking, We don’t want to be swept. That was the effort he put forth. Great to see.”
Doan also spoke immediately following the game. You can check out what he had to say below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
All-in-all, this was a good day for Phoenix, but by itself this victory doesn’t mean a lot. The Los Angeles Kings still have a commanding 3-1 series lead. Doan and the Coyotes still have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to upset the Los Angeles Kings.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)