May 20, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Doan was the only Phoenix Coyotes player who could beat Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick on Sunday. Combine that with a stellar performance from netminder Mike Smith and the Coyotes managed to stave off elimination.
His offensive contributions were key, but Tippett was quick to point out that Doan did more than just score goals in Phoenix’s 2-0 victory. Doan was an inspiration for guys in the dressing room, which is probably no small accomplishment when you’re team is fighting under the weight of a 3-0 series deficit.
“When you can do that behind-the-scenes stuff, bag it up with the on-the-ice stuff, it speaks volumes for who he is,” Tippet said in the post-game press conference. “We don’t have to sit here and talk about Shane Doan. Our players know, the league knows how strong-willed a guy he is. He went into this game thinking, We don’t want to be swept. That was the effort he put forth. Great to see.”
Doan also spoke immediately following the game. You can check out what he had to say below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
All-in-all, this was a good day for Phoenix, but by itself this victory doesn’t mean a lot. The Los Angeles Kings still have a commanding 3-1 series lead. Doan and the Coyotes still have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to upset the Los Angeles Kings.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 3
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 29
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 20
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)