May 20, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Doan was the only Phoenix Coyotes player who could beat Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick on Sunday. Combine that with a stellar performance from netminder Mike Smith and the Coyotes managed to stave off elimination.
His offensive contributions were key, but Tippett was quick to point out that Doan did more than just score goals in Phoenix’s 2-0 victory. Doan was an inspiration for guys in the dressing room, which is probably no small accomplishment when you’re team is fighting under the weight of a 3-0 series deficit.
“When you can do that behind-the-scenes stuff, bag it up with the on-the-ice stuff, it speaks volumes for who he is,” Tippet said in the post-game press conference. “We don’t have to sit here and talk about Shane Doan. Our players know, the league knows how strong-willed a guy he is. He went into this game thinking, We don’t want to be swept. That was the effort he put forth. Great to see.”
Doan also spoke immediately following the game. You can check out what he had to say below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
All-in-all, this was a good day for Phoenix, but by itself this victory doesn’t mean a lot. The Los Angeles Kings still have a commanding 3-1 series lead. Doan and the Coyotes still have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to upset the Los Angeles Kings.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)