May 20, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Doan was the only Phoenix Coyotes player who could beat Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick on Sunday. Combine that with a stellar performance from netminder Mike Smith and the Coyotes managed to stave off elimination.
His offensive contributions were key, but Tippett was quick to point out that Doan did more than just score goals in Phoenix’s 2-0 victory. Doan was an inspiration for guys in the dressing room, which is probably no small accomplishment when you’re team is fighting under the weight of a 3-0 series deficit.
“When you can do that behind-the-scenes stuff, bag it up with the on-the-ice stuff, it speaks volumes for who he is,” Tippet said in the post-game press conference. “We don’t have to sit here and talk about Shane Doan. Our players know, the league knows how strong-willed a guy he is. He went into this game thinking, We don’t want to be swept. That was the effort he put forth. Great to see.”
Doan also spoke immediately following the game. You can check out what he had to say below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
All-in-all, this was a good day for Phoenix, but by itself this victory doesn’t mean a lot. The Los Angeles Kings still have a commanding 3-1 series lead. Doan and the Coyotes still have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to upset the Los Angeles Kings.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)