May 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
Russia was a team on a mission and they finished things off in style today beating Slovakia 6-2 to claim the gold medal at the IIHF World Championships in Finland.
It didn’t start off strong for Russia as Slovakia’s Zdeno Chara kicked off the scoring and putting the Cinderella Slovaks up 1-0 in the first period. That glory would be short-lived for the Slovaks as the line of Pavel Datsyuk, Alex Ovechkin, and Alexander Semin got hot.
Semin finished the game with two goals and an assist while Datsyuk had a goal and two assists and Ovechkin added two helpers. Yes Caps fans, we’re wondering where this Alex Semin was during the second round as well.
Tournament MVP Evgeni Malkin finished his monster performance at Worlds with a goal in the final game and took home the MVP trophy thanks to his 11 goals and 8 assists throughout the tournament. A gold medal, a World Championships MVP, and perhaps the Hart Trophy on top of it all. Not a bad year.
While it might look like a disappointing finish for Slovakia, considering they were playing for the memory of Pavol Demitra and nearly didn’t qualify for the quarterfinals, coming away with the silver is a huge victory of sorts for the Slovaks. Also, team captain Zdeno Chara did well to honor Demitra as you’ll see here.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)