May 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
Russia was a team on a mission and they finished things off in style today beating Slovakia 6-2 to claim the gold medal at the IIHF World Championships in Finland.
It didn’t start off strong for Russia as Slovakia’s Zdeno Chara kicked off the scoring and putting the Cinderella Slovaks up 1-0 in the first period. That glory would be short-lived for the Slovaks as the line of Pavel Datsyuk, Alex Ovechkin, and Alexander Semin got hot.
Semin finished the game with two goals and an assist while Datsyuk had a goal and two assists and Ovechkin added two helpers. Yes Caps fans, we’re wondering where this Alex Semin was during the second round as well.
Tournament MVP Evgeni Malkin finished his monster performance at Worlds with a goal in the final game and took home the MVP trophy thanks to his 11 goals and 8 assists throughout the tournament. A gold medal, a World Championships MVP, and perhaps the Hart Trophy on top of it all. Not a bad year.
While it might look like a disappointing finish for Slovakia, considering they were playing for the memory of Pavol Demitra and nearly didn’t qualify for the quarterfinals, coming away with the silver is a huge victory of sorts for the Slovaks. Also, team captain Zdeno Chara did well to honor Demitra as you’ll see here.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 10
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 18
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)