May 20, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings dropped Game 4, but given that they still have a 3-1 series lead, they have no reason to panic.
“It’s a good lesson for us,” Dustin Penner said of the loss. “We had got the bounces, for the most part, until tonight. They threw themselves in front of a lot of shots. Their PK was really good and they got a power-play goal. So, they definitely earned this one, and we couldn’t find an answer for Smith.”
Penner thinks the Kings need to put more pressure on Smith in the future.
“You talk about screen, tip, rebound, and we didn’t get enough of that tonight,” Penner said. “We let him see too many pucks, and we didn’t get enough second chances.”
Anze Kopitar thinks the Kings need to simplify things when they have the man advantage and get more bodies in front of the Coyotes’ net to make Smith’s job harder. At the same time, Kopitar also isn’t going to blow this loss out of proportion.
“We’re still in a good position,” Kopitar said. “We have to hit the reset button, refocus and make sure we have a lot of energy for Tuesday.”
After all, there are plenty of teams that have won Game 4 when facing elimination. The vast majority of those teams weren’t able to come back and win their series.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)