May 20, 2012, 9:26 PM EDT
When asked for his thoughts on the play during the post-game press conference, DeBoer said it was “headhunting, plain and simple.”
Prust said the elbowing was “accidental” and there was no penalty on the play. Volchenkov was also able to finish the contest. That being said, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan felt that the incident was serious enough to warrant a suspension.
You can watch Shanahan’s explanation below:
The New York Rangers, who have a 2-1 series lead, will go on without Prust on Monday. He’ll be available for Game 5 on Wednesday.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 24
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 39
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 23
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51