May 20, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and IIHF president Rene Fasel have never been the best of friends. Fasel has been outspoken in the past concerning the lack of NHL superstars who attend the annual World Championships upsetting Bettman in the process.
When it comes to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, Fasel has been a bit more easy going concerning the up-in-the-air status of whether or not the NHL will allow its players to attend the games. As Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press finds out, Fasel and the IIHF are happy to wait for the NHL and Bettman to come to them.
“I’ve always said our door is wide open,” Fasel said Sunday. “That’s in their hands. Our door is wide, wide open. That’s their decision to make, if they want to come or not.”
Olympic ice hockey is much more interesting (and lucrative) at the Games when the pros are involved and those in Sochi are champing at the bit to have Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Pavel Datsyuk among others to represent their country.
The problem for the NHL, however, is taking two to three weeks off mid-season and having the games played at unfriendly TV times in North America (Sochi is eight hours ahead of the Eastern time zone). NHL participation in the Olympics will be discussed during the CBA negotiations this summer as the players want to go but the owners and league are a touch reluctant. Good thing Fasel says the IIHF is patient.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)