May 20, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and IIHF president Rene Fasel have never been the best of friends. Fasel has been outspoken in the past concerning the lack of NHL superstars who attend the annual World Championships upsetting Bettman in the process.
When it comes to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, Fasel has been a bit more easy going concerning the up-in-the-air status of whether or not the NHL will allow its players to attend the games. As Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press finds out, Fasel and the IIHF are happy to wait for the NHL and Bettman to come to them.
“I’ve always said our door is wide open,” Fasel said Sunday. “That’s in their hands. Our door is wide, wide open. That’s their decision to make, if they want to come or not.”
Olympic ice hockey is much more interesting (and lucrative) at the Games when the pros are involved and those in Sochi are champing at the bit to have Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Pavel Datsyuk among others to represent their country.
The problem for the NHL, however, is taking two to three weeks off mid-season and having the games played at unfriendly TV times in North America (Sochi is eight hours ahead of the Eastern time zone). NHL participation in the Olympics will be discussed during the CBA negotiations this summer as the players want to go but the owners and league are a touch reluctant. Good thing Fasel says the IIHF is patient.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)