May 20, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
Mike Smith stopped 36 shots and the Phoenix Coyotes avoided the sweep with a 2-0 victory over the Kings Sunday in Los Angeles.
A few points to consider in the comments section:
— The goaltender interference minor Justin Williams took to put Phoenix on the aforementioned power play wasn’t the most blatant infraction you’ll ever see.
— L.A.’s power play failed to convert again today, marking their ninth oh-for of the playoffs. The 2011 Boston Bruins don’t think it’s a big deal though.
— This was the second time the Kings failed to sweep a team in the postseason. They lost Game 4 of their first-round series versus Vancouver before winning Game 5 on the road.
— Could today’s loss end up a blessing in disguise for the Kings? They’ve had a ton of down time already and another long layoff might not be optimal. This theory becomes null and void if they lose Tuesday or suffer a key injury.
— The Staples Center is now 0-3 on the weekend, and will move to 0-4 if the Spurs beat the Clippers tonight. (Which they probably will.)
— Plenty of budget-friendly tickets to Game 5 Tuesday at Jobing.com Arena. Starting at $31 on StubHub.com.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- (Report) Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)