May 20, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
Mike Smith stopped 36 shots and the Phoenix Coyotes avoided the sweep with a 2-0 victory over the Kings Sunday in Los Angeles.
A few points to consider in the comments section:
— The goaltender interference minor Justin Williams took to put Phoenix on the aforementioned power play wasn’t the most blatant infraction you’ll ever see.
— L.A.’s power play failed to convert again today, marking their ninth oh-for of the playoffs. The 2011 Boston Bruins don’t think it’s a big deal though.
— This was the second time the Kings failed to sweep a team in the postseason. They lost Game 4 of their first-round series versus Vancouver before winning Game 5 on the road.
— Could today’s loss end up a blessing in disguise for the Kings? They’ve had a ton of down time already and another long layoff might not be optimal. This theory becomes null and void if they lose Tuesday or suffer a key injury.
— The Staples Center is now 0-3 on the weekend, and will move to 0-4 if the Spurs beat the Clippers tonight. (Which they probably will.)
— Plenty of budget-friendly tickets to Game 5 Tuesday at Jobing.com Arena. Starting at $31 on StubHub.com.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)