May 20, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
After suffering a second 3-0 loss to the Rangers in the Eastern Conference finals, the Devils are testing some new line combinations out.
According to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, Devils coach Peter DeBoer broke up his top line at this morning’s practice moving Ilya Kovalchuk to the second line and back to his most natural left wing position. Dainius Zubrus slides up to the top line to play right wing next to Travis Zajac and Zach Parise.
Kovalchuk was on the left side with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias on the second line. Both Elias and Henrique are centers while Elias’ next best position is left wing. Expect to see Henrique moved to the right wing to accommodate everyone.
The one really curious change saw Petr Sykora replaced by Jacob Josefson on the third line. Josefson has been injured and unable to play since April third thanks to a broken wrist. Josefson, meanwhile, tells NHL.com’s Dan Rosen he’ll play in Game 4 which points to Sykora sitting things out.
The Devils are down just 2-1 in the series but there were clearly things DeBoer saw that he didn’t like in Game 3.
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 5
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off