May 19, 2012, 3:54 PM EST
Through 42 minutes of action, the Rangers were unable to beat New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur.
In the 43rd minute, Dan Girardi took care of that.
The Rangers defenseman — now second on the team in scoring with 11 points — took Brad Richards‘ faceoff win and snapped the game-winning goal past Brodeur. New York would go on to win 3-0, taking a 2-1 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals.
Here’s Girardi’s marker:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal started off what would be a rough period for Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador. He was in the box for Girardi’s tally after taking a hooking penalty on Marian Gaborik and two minutes later, Salvador was on the ice for Chris Kreider‘s insurance goal.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3