May 19, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Through 42 minutes of action, the Rangers were unable to beat New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur.
In the 43rd minute, Dan Girardi took care of that.
The Rangers defenseman — now second on the team in scoring with 11 points — took Brad Richards‘ faceoff win and snapped the game-winning goal past Brodeur. New York would go on to win 3-0, taking a 2-1 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals.
Here’s Girardi’s marker:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal started off what would be a rough period for Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador. He was in the box for Girardi’s tally after taking a hooking penalty on Marian Gaborik and two minutes later, Salvador was on the ice for Chris Kreider‘s insurance goal.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)