May 19, 2012, 3:54 PM EST
Through 42 minutes of action, the Rangers were unable to beat New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur.
In the 43rd minute, Dan Girardi took care of that.
The Rangers defenseman — now second on the team in scoring with 11 points — took Brad Richards‘ faceoff win and snapped the game-winning goal past Brodeur. New York would go on to win 3-0, taking a 2-1 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals.
Here’s Girardi’s marker:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal started off what would be a rough period for Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador. He was in the box for Girardi’s tally after taking a hooking penalty on Marian Gaborik and two minutes later, Salvador was on the ice for Chris Kreider‘s insurance goal.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 12
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (122)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)