May 19, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Through 42 minutes of action, the Rangers were unable to beat New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur.
In the 43rd minute, Dan Girardi took care of that.
The Rangers defenseman — now second on the team in scoring with 11 points — took Brad Richards‘ faceoff win and snapped the game-winning goal past Brodeur. New York would go on to win 3-0, taking a 2-1 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals.
Here’s Girardi’s marker:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal started off what would be a rough period for Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador. He was in the box for Girardi’s tally after taking a hooking penalty on Marian Gaborik and two minutes later, Salvador was on the ice for Chris Kreider‘s insurance goal.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40