May 19, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
We’re still over a month away from free agency but for Nashville’s Ryan Suter, the game of being a potential free agent is already underway.
According to Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean, Suter will likely be meeting with his agent Neil Sheehy next week to start talking about what to do about his future. According to Sheehy, Suter just wanted to take some time off to let playoff disappointment wash over him.
“Right now I want to honor Ryan’s request to unwind for two weeks,” Sheehy said on Thursday. “I want to take two weeks to unwind and it hasn’t been two weeks.”
That two weeks is up next week and the Predators are likely eager to start up contract talks. The Preds have until July 1 to do their best to convince Suter that Tennessee is the place for him for the next however many years or else Suter can wait and see what the rest of the NHL would like to pony up for him.
With Pekka Rinne‘s big extension kicking in and Shea Weber in need of a long-term extension as well, the Predators would need to get creative and convincing to show Suter that they’ve got what it takes to be winners for a long time. The offseason games have just begun.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22