May 19, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
We’re still over a month away from free agency but for Nashville’s Ryan Suter, the game of being a potential free agent is already underway.
According to Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean, Suter will likely be meeting with his agent Neil Sheehy next week to start talking about what to do about his future. According to Sheehy, Suter just wanted to take some time off to let playoff disappointment wash over him.
“Right now I want to honor Ryan’s request to unwind for two weeks,” Sheehy said on Thursday. “I want to take two weeks to unwind and it hasn’t been two weeks.”
That two weeks is up next week and the Predators are likely eager to start up contract talks. The Preds have until July 1 to do their best to convince Suter that Tennessee is the place for him for the next however many years or else Suter can wait and see what the rest of the NHL would like to pony up for him.
With Pekka Rinne‘s big extension kicking in and Shea Weber in need of a long-term extension as well, the Predators would need to get creative and convincing to show Suter that they’ve got what it takes to be winners for a long time. The offseason games have just begun.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)