May 19, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It’s probably getting old to read, but Henrik Lundqvist is pretty good in goal.
After pitching his second shutout of the Eastern Conference finals in Game 3, a 36-save effort, Lundqvist was his usual understated self following the game. Lundqvist was peppered a bit more than usual during Game 3, but he told reporters afterward that not freaking out when in trouble helps his team stay strong.
“But we didn’t panic, and that’s the biggest thing,” Lundqvist said.
“I think we had moments during the year where we got into some tough minutes, if you can call it that, but we didn’t panic, we kept our composure, kept playing the same way, and as a goalie, you know sooner or later it’s going to turn. It’s going to turn in our favor. We’re going to get a chance. We’re going to get a break. And that’s the feeling I had. In the third we came out big, made some really big plays and scored some really good goals for us.”
John Tortorella said after the game how Lundqvist plays shows off the personality of the Rangers, that as he competes and stays strong so does the rest of the team.
That couldn’t be more obvious than in today’s game as Lundqvist kept turning aside Devils shots while the Rangers’ bend-don’t-break brand of game kept them in it. If there’s any more of that kind of play, the Rangers are going to wind up in the Stanley Cup finals with a goalie firmly in charge of their championship hopes.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Things apparently went sour with Patrick Roy.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s assortment of links.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Will he manage to make the team right away?
Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
They know their outdoor games.
Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
His still-deadly shot doesn’t hurt, either.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)