May 19, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It’s probably getting old to read, but Henrik Lundqvist is pretty good in goal.
After pitching his second shutout of the Eastern Conference finals in Game 3, a 36-save effort, Lundqvist was his usual understated self following the game. Lundqvist was peppered a bit more than usual during Game 3, but he told reporters afterward that not freaking out when in trouble helps his team stay strong.
“But we didn’t panic, and that’s the biggest thing,” Lundqvist said.
“I think we had moments during the year where we got into some tough minutes, if you can call it that, but we didn’t panic, we kept our composure, kept playing the same way, and as a goalie, you know sooner or later it’s going to turn. It’s going to turn in our favor. We’re going to get a chance. We’re going to get a break. And that’s the feeling I had. In the third we came out big, made some really big plays and scored some really good goals for us.”
John Tortorella said after the game how Lundqvist plays shows off the personality of the Rangers, that as he competes and stays strong so does the rest of the team.
That couldn’t be more obvious than in today’s game as Lundqvist kept turning aside Devils shots while the Rangers’ bend-don’t-break brand of game kept them in it. If there’s any more of that kind of play, the Rangers are going to wind up in the Stanley Cup finals with a goalie firmly in charge of their championship hopes.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)