May 19, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It’s probably getting old to read, but Henrik Lundqvist is pretty good in goal.
After pitching his second shutout of the Eastern Conference finals in Game 3, a 36-save effort, Lundqvist was his usual understated self following the game. Lundqvist was peppered a bit more than usual during Game 3, but he told reporters afterward that not freaking out when in trouble helps his team stay strong.
“But we didn’t panic, and that’s the biggest thing,” Lundqvist said.
“I think we had moments during the year where we got into some tough minutes, if you can call it that, but we didn’t panic, we kept our composure, kept playing the same way, and as a goalie, you know sooner or later it’s going to turn. It’s going to turn in our favor. We’re going to get a chance. We’re going to get a break. And that’s the feeling I had. In the third we came out big, made some really big plays and scored some really good goals for us.”
John Tortorella said after the game how Lundqvist plays shows off the personality of the Rangers, that as he competes and stays strong so does the rest of the team.
That couldn’t be more obvious than in today’s game as Lundqvist kept turning aside Devils shots while the Rangers’ bend-don’t-break brand of game kept them in it. If there’s any more of that kind of play, the Rangers are going to wind up in the Stanley Cup finals with a goalie firmly in charge of their championship hopes.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)