May 19, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It’s probably getting old to read, but Henrik Lundqvist is pretty good in goal.
After pitching his second shutout of the Eastern Conference finals in Game 3, a 36-save effort, Lundqvist was his usual understated self following the game. Lundqvist was peppered a bit more than usual during Game 3, but he told reporters afterward that not freaking out when in trouble helps his team stay strong.
“But we didn’t panic, and that’s the biggest thing,” Lundqvist said.
“I think we had moments during the year where we got into some tough minutes, if you can call it that, but we didn’t panic, we kept our composure, kept playing the same way, and as a goalie, you know sooner or later it’s going to turn. It’s going to turn in our favor. We’re going to get a chance. We’re going to get a break. And that’s the feeling I had. In the third we came out big, made some really big plays and scored some really good goals for us.”
John Tortorella said after the game how Lundqvist plays shows off the personality of the Rangers, that as he competes and stays strong so does the rest of the team.
That couldn’t be more obvious than in today’s game as Lundqvist kept turning aside Devils shots while the Rangers’ bend-don’t-break brand of game kept them in it. If there’s any more of that kind of play, the Rangers are going to wind up in the Stanley Cup finals with a goalie firmly in charge of their championship hopes.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)