May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
Lots of people have been proclaiming Evgeni Malkin to be the best player in the world for most of the season. While he couldn’t will the Penguins deeper into the playoffs, he’s doing just fine for Russia at the World Championships.
Malkin netted a hat trick against Finland today to help Russia to a 6-2 win and a spot in the gold medal game tomorrow. Malkin’s three-goal performance is enough to help the rest of the world to take notice of how dominant of a player he’s been this year and his Russian teammates are more than happy to have him on their run for a gold medal. Oh by the way, Alex Ovechkin had a goal as well.
Russia will face either Slovakia or Czech Republic in the championship game tomorrow. Now soak in some crude YouTube highlights of Malkin’s performance today.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39