May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM EST
Lots of people have been proclaiming Evgeni Malkin to be the best player in the world for most of the season. While he couldn’t will the Penguins deeper into the playoffs, he’s doing just fine for Russia at the World Championships.
Malkin netted a hat trick against Finland today to help Russia to a 6-2 win and a spot in the gold medal game tomorrow. Malkin’s three-goal performance is enough to help the rest of the world to take notice of how dominant of a player he’s been this year and his Russian teammates are more than happy to have him on their run for a gold medal. Oh by the way, Alex Ovechkin had a goal as well.
Russia will face either Slovakia or Czech Republic in the championship game tomorrow. Now soak in some crude YouTube highlights of Malkin’s performance today.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)