May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM EST
Lots of people have been proclaiming Evgeni Malkin to be the best player in the world for most of the season. While he couldn’t will the Penguins deeper into the playoffs, he’s doing just fine for Russia at the World Championships.
Malkin netted a hat trick against Finland today to help Russia to a 6-2 win and a spot in the gold medal game tomorrow. Malkin’s three-goal performance is enough to help the rest of the world to take notice of how dominant of a player he’s been this year and his Russian teammates are more than happy to have him on their run for a gold medal. Oh by the way, Alex Ovechkin had a goal as well.
Russia will face either Slovakia or Czech Republic in the championship game tomorrow. Now soak in some crude YouTube highlights of Malkin’s performance today.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)