May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
Lots of people have been proclaiming Evgeni Malkin to be the best player in the world for most of the season. While he couldn’t will the Penguins deeper into the playoffs, he’s doing just fine for Russia at the World Championships.
Malkin netted a hat trick against Finland today to help Russia to a 6-2 win and a spot in the gold medal game tomorrow. Malkin’s three-goal performance is enough to help the rest of the world to take notice of how dominant of a player he’s been this year and his Russian teammates are more than happy to have him on their run for a gold medal. Oh by the way, Alex Ovechkin had a goal as well.
Russia will face either Slovakia or Czech Republic in the championship game tomorrow. Now soak in some crude YouTube highlights of Malkin’s performance today.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)