May 19, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
After breaking an NHL record for penalty killing efficiency, the New Jersey Devils raised eyebrows by struggling mightily against the Florida Panthers’ power play in round one. The Devils survived that issue to advance and then turned the tide against the Philadelphia Flyers, yet special teams is becoming a concern yet again as they trail the New York Rangers 2-1 in the Eastern Conference finals.
Generating a 3-for-10 success rate isn’t towering, but either way, the Rangers have scored a PP goal in all three contests so far (including one on just two chances in Game 3). Meanwhile, Ilya Kovalchuk scored the Devils’ only PP goal in the series as New Jersey is just 1-for-12.
Dainius Zubrus said he was “way out of position” Girardi PPG. He jumped in on lost draw, leaving Girardi with the wide open shot.
It’s great that Zubrus is owning up to that mistake, but the question must be asked: what will Devils coach Peter DeBoer do to turn the tide? So far, it’s been a tight series – Saturday’s contest was 0-0 going into the third, for example – which places every weakness under a spotlight. Special teams could make or break this series for New Jersey; so far, that factor – plus Henrik Lundqvist‘s goaltending – is making the big difference.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)