May 19, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
When the Coyotes were humbled in Game 3 against Los Angeles, the big talk afterwards came from Phoenix coach Dave Tippett. Tippett seemed to accuse the Kings of embellishing hits to draw calls and with his team down 3-0 in the series and frustrated, it came off looking poorly.
In talking to the media a day later, Tippett cooled his talk about diving saying it’s something that’s been going on all playoffs. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider has the word from Tippett.
“I said my piece on embellishment. It wasn’t geared toward that game last night,” Tippett said. “I talked about this from the start of the year. So I’ve said my piece on that.”
Embellishment isn’t something you hear many coaches talk about and, according to Hammond, Tippett isn’t one of them as he points out Tippett hasn’t been quoted about diving this season (according to the ole’ Google search). That diving talk comes up now with his team’s back against the wall isn’t surprising as you try to get any and every edge you can.
That said, if diving calls are going to be made like the call against Dustin Brown in Game 2 after he was maliciously hacked in the leg by goalie Mike Smith, maybe we’re better off not seeing those calls made at all.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)